Does apple replace chargers?

luharribad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2014
If your computer is under warranty/applecare, will apple replace your magsafe charger if it stops working or the wire splits open?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If your computer is under warranty/applecare, will apple replace your magsafe charger if it stops working or the wire splits open?
If it fails due to a manufacturing defect, yes, they will replace it under warranty/AppleCare. If it fails due to normal wear and tear or misuse, no. Your best approach is to take it to the Apple store and ask.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
From my experience, if it is a split in the wire they will say it is not a manufacturing issue and that likely you plugged the charger in with a strange angle to the wire.

schizbomb

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Texas
My experience has been that they will exchange the charger no questions asked.
Same. They switched my charger even though it was out of Applecare 2 months ago. Just gotta be nice and not entitled is my approach, because if it is out of warranty they are doing you a favor.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it depends on the genius u run into. the first guy at the apple store in Barcelona told me that they do not replace the charger (the same guy claimed my iPhone 5 battery was fine) so I went there again on another day and the guy checked my iPhone and said the battery is faulty and gave me a new one as well as replacing my charger without questions asked

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Mine was under warranty from a 2012 MBP and failed to charge with no external defects. I do not have Applecare on it. I called and they shipped me a new one with a return label to send the charger side back to them. They weren't interested in having the power cord portion back with it. Took 2 days to receive the new one.

marvin4653

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
If the problem relates to cable strain near the MagSafe connector, Apple does have a replacement program:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4127