Does Apple replace iPhones unlocked by a 3rd party?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mossme89, Dec 2, 2014.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

I'm considering getting a replacement Sprint iPhone 6 because my power button seems to be faulty. Worked at first but not now. Anyway, I had it unlocked by a 3rd party for domestic use. I confirmed it's essentially factory unlocked because I restored from iTunes and it was still unlocked. If Apple were to replace my phone, would they give me an unlocked phone? I know with my last phone they did but it was unlocked from day 1 because I bought it full price.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

The Sprint iPhone can't be unlocked for domestic use. It can be unlocked only for international use. If you get a replacement phone, chances are it will be locked. Sprint will unlock an iPhone for international use if you are a customer in good standing, though. There's no need to go to a third party.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I think you got screwed if your Sprint iPhone was unlocked for domestic use, because it can't.

4. azhava macrumors regular

Post #1: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1644014

If you did somehow manage to get it third-party unlocked for domestic use, chances are slim to none that Apple will replace it with an unlocked phone (which apparently can't be used on Sprint's network anyway, judging from the above thread). They'd most likely replace it with another Sprint phone, which wouldn't be unlocked because Sprint won't unlock their phones for domestic use.