Does Apple sell a laptop lock that's actually received GOOD reviews?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by diehldun, Aug 3, 2007.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Sorry, don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but does the Apple Store sell any "good" anti-theft security locks for the MBP/MB? I was checking out Apple's selection online, and most, if not all of the Kensington locks got absolutely terrible reviews! I reading about some saying the lock "destroyed/ruined their MBP", etc. Anyone here have any good, problem-free experiences with a lock? I'm going to college this fall with a new MBP, BTW, so parents are being rather insisting on this one. Thanks!

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I have a Targus notebook lock, one of the most common ones available at places like Best Buy/Circuit City. I have used it on my computer (an HP :() for a year and I haven't had any damage. The lock came with adhesive plastic rings which fit over the end of the lock to prevent any metal-on-metal/plastic friction. Really, I would be surprised if any common lock would cause any damage as long as the protective rings are used.

Unfortunately, the lock "locked" up so that it couldn't be smoothly put into the computer, and I had to have a replacement sent for free under warranty. If I could, I would have just bought a Kensington in the first place, because I think the quality is better, although I'm not sure if they come with the plastic rings.

3. wako macrumors 65816

the best anti-theft for laptops is your eyes.

If you arent with the machine, it will get stolen. those locks and crap are useless because they are just deterrants.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I use a Targus DEFCON notebook lock as well and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. By no means does it make a notebook theftproof but at the very least it'll prevent it from walking away. That suggestion of keeping your eyes on your laptop at all times means well but really isn't practical in the sense if you're living in dorm room with roommates. If you're in a public place then by all means common sense would rule that you do not let your laptop out of your sights.

http://www.targus.com/us/accessories_security.asp

5. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Wako I totally agree on this your eyes are your best theft deterrent only you can prevent your own Mac from being stolen.
    :cool:

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

Only if it was entirely possible to do so all the time. Not only do you use locks with laptops, but you use them with desktops too, and from personal experience it's a pain in the butt to carry around a laptop all the time. Like the last few times I travelled...couldn't take the laptop with me all the time, but needed the laptop sometimes. I just locked it and left it in my hotel room. Yes, like I'm gonna go take my MacBook with me to a party, or when I'm out for an hour for breakfast.

I know it is just a theft deterrant. It's better than nothing, particularly if you might not have a choice.

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Another vote for Targus. I use Kensington on desktops but I wouldn't use them on a laptop as I don't recall there being much/any padding between the metal lock and whatever it is connected to. The Targus one I have also has a very cool motion sensor and alarm - which makes it almost useful.

Notebook locks are pretty useless but they may stop the opportunist thief.

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

This works better than any lock, trust me.....

9. MiningGab macrumors newbie

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have the Kensington lock too.

Anyone can remove it in 60 seconds (with some damage to the computer).

The main aim is to stop someone picking it up and running off with it while your back is turned. It's been useful in shows and exhibitions when we had people crowding around our stall, and we were worried about someone taking the laptop while the staff were talking to someone else.

60 seconds gives you time to interrupt and stop the thief but you do need to be standing nearby.

No lock that attaches to a security slot will give you unattended security. You need either bars that go over the computer or put the whole machine in a secure cabinet for that.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Considering the material that the MBs and MBPs are made off, no matter what you do, people can just make off with these machines. The only question is how many pieces they will make off with.

12. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Thats still a lock in some sense. :rolleyes:

13. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular