Does Apple sell/give replacement OEM install DVDs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LTX, Dec 29, 2008.

1. LTX macrumors regular

LTX

My friend purchased a used Macbook and needed to reinstall Leopard on it (to remove the previous owner's junk), so he borrowed my install DVDs. Alas, the first DVD got stuck in the combo drive, so he had to send it in (under Future Shop's Product Replacement Plan, not under AppleCare, but FS sent it to Apple for repair). When he got it back, many weeks later, the DVD didn't work and could not be booted from. Will Apple give me a replacement? Does it matter which one of us calls? I'm thinking they might want the serial number to find the incident information, and since it's his Mac that was sent in, that he should call.

Worst case scenario: will they let me purchase a replacement OEM DVD (with iLife and everything that came with my Macbook)? Anyone know how much?

Thanks.

2. austinsevo macrumors regular

you can always download an image, and theres no serial that i know of... this is of course if you legally own a copy. And i cannot steer you in the right direction as its on the edge of piracy... call apple, they should be able to help ya.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes they do. Call AppleCare and tell them you need a replacement set of "fulfillment disks" as they seem to call them. They will ue your serial number to insure that you get the exact duplicate set that shipped with the Mac in question and will ship them off to you for a moderate fee. The last set I got (2 disks) for a G5 PowerMac were $32 shipped and are identical (well the labels are different but the contents were identical) to the originals that shipped with the G5.