Does Apple sell RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sahni130, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

do the apple retail stores sell ram and will they install it for free if i get a new mac at the same time?:apple:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes.

But it is usually more expensive that way.

The cheaper option is to purchase your Mac, then go to a third party supplier and purchase your RAM upgrade from them and install it yourself.

4. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

the only reason i want to buy from apple is because it does not void the warranty. the apple people told me that if i use 3rd party ram that it will void my warranty. is this true?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, RAM is a user serviceable part. It does not violate the warranty. However, most people usually remove 3rd party RAM if they ever have to take their machine to Apple, just so Apple can't use the RAM as an excuse.

6. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

does apple sell their own brand of ram or is it some other brand that they sell for an outrageous price?

7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It's a the same brand that the 3rd party vendors sell, usually Samsung or Techworks. They put their sticker on it and call it a day, much like the Geek Squad people at Best Buy who also over charge for their RAM, and the sad part is it's Kingston which can be found at half price on newegg.com.

8. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

9. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

this will be my first mac, when i walk into the store, who do i ask to get my mac from the back?

10. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Installing yourself is easy and takes 5mins.
    It would take more time to go up there and get them to do it even if they did install it for free.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

They will likely not install RAM that you provide from another source. You should install your own, anyway. It's way too easy to not do it yourself. It's actually a very minor deal, and that's why Apple has instructions on their Support site for it. They expect you to.

The first employee you talk to will see to everything.

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No, they most likely won't install it for free, but as everyone states, you can do it yourself after you buy it and it takes only a few minutes and it will not void your warranty.... unless you break your machine, then you will have to pay to get it fixed.

The other alternative is to pay Apple to do it for you, or go to a certified service like Geek Squad or get somebody you trust to do it.

13. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

who will get my mac from the stockroom at the store? do i ask the concierge or whom?

14. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Sounds like the Apple employe's intimidate you or something. :D
    Just ask anyone that works there.

But most likely, you will be asked if you need anything like 5 times before you even get a chance to think, so just tell them then.

15. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You should report the employee who said 3rd party ram will void the warranty. Apple employees do this far too often to force their insanely priced ram on unsuspecting consumers and it should be considered fraud.

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Except most Geek Squads wont work on Apple. :confused:

Which is hilariously ironic, since a bunch of Best Buys sell Macs now.

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I remember hearing that when I tried applying for a job with them. The sad part was the d0ucheb@g manager lady told me that she doesn't get that many Apple computer in for repair, so they just don't even take the ones that do come in, they send them somewhere else.

19. sargent bannana macrumors member

lol lmfao i love apple emplyees they are extreamly helpful and nice and espceially cool people one of the workers at my local apple store has a tri colored mohawk and chills around eating chips and the cool thing is they come up to me and ask me if i would like some help when most store dont come up to 15 year old kids and ask them if they would like help

20. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

again this will be my first mac so you know. i will be getting a imac 20 inch 2.4ghz, 250 gb hdd, 128 mb ati. i will be using it for email, internet, youtube, ilife, etc and maybe photoshop and final cut express. will this computer be good for me if i upgrade the ram to 2-4gb?

21. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It will be a perfect match for your needs.