Does Apple sell refurbed phones in new boxes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eso, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I just got back from the Apple store where I purchased a 32 GB iPhone 3GS. I originally purchased one last month, but initially I had some battery issues with it. While it is an average unit now, the whole thing left a sour taste in my mouth. I bought a new one for $500 and I am going to sell my first one jail-broken and unlocked for $700 on eBay.

The one I originally bought was a week 25 unit. Now, 5 weeks later, the one I bought today is a week 19. That is the first week of May.. Is it possible the unit is refurbished even though it came from a sealed retail box? I don't honestly mind as long as it performs well. It has some flaws/scuffs/hairline cracks on the back plastic. Its possible they could be either manufacturing defects or from previous use. The chrome Apple logo, however, is flawless, which is usually the first thing to show signs of wear.

Luckily, I don't mind as long as it performs well. I've already compared the components of both units and I like the one I bought today better in every aspect. The silent switch doesn't jiggle at all, the home and lock buttons are more respsonive (less mushy) and the lock button is even. The bezel is even with the screen on both sides. The LCD is isn't as warm (doesn't look as yellow), just as bright, and has great contrast as well.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

just take it back if the brand new is all scratched and cracked, I wouldn't keep it if this were my phone.... :eek:

3. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

Well, they are very small and it's not something that is going to bother me. I'll take some pics and post them if they even show up in the image.

What makes me curious is if Apple would really sell a refurbished unit in a new package as a new phone.

4. Eso thread starter macrumors 68000

Eso

Pics

Only a few could be distinguished in the pictures. There are several more. The only way to distinguish between them and dust/particles is that they won't rub away:

P8040205.JPG P8040207.JPG
    P8040211.JPG

5. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Does it have a serial number beginning 5K... ?

If so, it is a replacement.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. TheNewsPaperBoy macrumors regular

TheNewsPaperBoy