Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raibyn

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
South Carolina
Are we sure that the "sim free" version of the 5S will work with all carriers (minus Sprint) or only GSM? If the latter, the VZW 5S still makes the most sense.

My bet would be on any sim-free model sold by Apple only working on GSM networks. The hardware would be there to support Verizon's CDMA network, but the phone would not be allowed on Verizon's network as it would not be in their system. One of the many reasons CDMA needs to die.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
i'd like to see a sim free iphone5s offered.... typically better resale value later and even though the full priced gsm phones are unlocked, the MPN number is different on the sim free ones..

doesn't apple typically offer these about 1month after launch???

macsoulo

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Apple isn't selling any iPhone 5s's like that right now. If it's THAT offensive to you to have a SIM that you're not even going to use touch your phone, then you're just going to have to wait a month or two.

But other than that very tossable SIM being there, and the lack of a single word on your receipt, the phone will be unlocked.

Well that's nice, but unless you plan on licensing some spectrum of your own and building out a network, you're going to have to deal with a carrier anyway.

And who the heck is "we?" Did the Borg suddenly start having a need for unlocked iPhones?

Okay but it is not advantageous to get a Verizon phone if you aren't planning to be on Verizon. I would never walk into a Verizon Store for any reason.

So they'll be like, "What the heck?" You know?

And if I'm going to be making calls to ask someone to unlock my phone, they're going to be asking why I didn't just purchase the phone unlocked in the first place.

You guys are suggesting ways to get around the system. And it doesn't always work like you guys have idealized.

I actually saw someone who made the mistake of purchasing a phone they thought was CDMA & GSM unlocked without knowing the policy on that phone.

Raibyn

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
South Carolina
Okay but it is not advantageous to get a Verizon phone if you aren't planning to be on Verizon.

And if I'm going to be making calls to ask someone to unlock my phone, they're going to be asking why I didn't just purchase the phone unlocked in the first place.

You guys are suggesting ways to get around the system. And it doesn't always work like you guys have idealized.

Why would the ability for the phone to work on the largest carrier in the US not be an advantage? If not for yourself, then maybe in resale value. You don't have to make any calls to get the Verizon 5s unlocked. It comes that way out of the box, no matter where you purchase it from and regardless of contract pricing or not. It works for LTE on 3 of the 4 main US carriers. No other phones do that. Not sure what you mean about suggesting ways around the system. Unlocked is unlocked. There is nothing to 'not work'.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Okay but it is not advantageous to get a Verizon phone if you aren't planning to be on Verizon. I would never walk into a Verizon Store for any reason.

But the Verizon 5S is unlocked. No system to get around. And it does work as we are saying. Factory unlocked as mandated by the FCC. I just don't get how there is still confusion over this fact. As for support, meh, I've never once walked into a carrier store for support with an iPhone, Apple has always resolved any issue.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
But the Verizon 5S is unlocked. No system to get around. And it does work as we are saying. Factory unlocked as mandated by the FCC. I just don't get how there is still confusion over this fact. As for support, meh, I've never once walked into a carrier store for support with an iPhone, Apple has always resolved any issue.

Exactly. That's the reason the FCC forced those concessions from Verizon in the first place. They didn't want Verizon grabbing a stranglehold of the LTE market and crowding out the phone market. They wanted the 700MHz B band to be reserved for devices interoperable with other networks. Therefore, their LTE phones work on other networks.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I actually saw someone who made the mistake of purchasing a phone they thought was CDMA & GSM unlocked without knowing the policy on that phone.

Your post makes no sense...

Even if you walk in to Verizon, tell'em you're buying the iPhone at retail price as a gift for someone. If they refuse to see it outright w/o attaching it to a VZW phone number, just walk out to Apple.

Walk in-to an Apple B&M Store
Buy VZW iP5S as *device only* [ aka Retail ]
Pop-open SIM Tray and Replace VZW SIM with AT&T or TMO [ or leave VZW in if you want their month 2 month ]
Power up device
.... Enjoy!

Simple enough..

The only network it won't work on is Sprint.

Need phone support ? Most carriers will direct you to AppleCare anyway. No need to walk in-to VZW with an AT&T SIM in the device. Just go straight to Apple and get the issue [ hardware/software ] taken care of within the warranty period [ or out of at $199 iirc ]

Like I said earlier, the iPhone 5S is the same exact model on VZW/TMO/ATT with Verizon's having the CDMA radio enabled in addition to the ALL GSM [ AWS ; LTE ..down to Edge ] bands.

Also, like many people have repeatedly reiterated, VZW iPhone 5S [ and quite possibly every LTE smartphone ] is mandated by the FCC to be Factory Unlocked, there is no reason to not buy the VZW iP5S if you :

- Want Factory Unlocked
- Are able and ready to pay Retail
- Don't want to be tied to any one carrier i.e. no contractual tie downs, no ETFs to worry about, use it within the US or Internationally [if you travel overseas].

Apple will never bother if you're on ATT or TMO and using a VZW device. There's nothing unethical about it or *working the system* here.

No fuss, no muss.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012

Even if you walk in to Verizon, tell'em you're buying the iPhone at retail price as a gift for someone. If they refuse to see it outright w/o attaching it to a VZW phone number, just walk out to Apple.

Pop-open SIM Tray and Replace VZW SIM with AT&T or TMO [ or leave VZW in if you want their month 2 month ]
Power up device
.... Enjoy!

Simple enough..

Need phone support ? Most carriers will direct you to AppleCare anyway. No need to walk in-to VZW with an AT&T SIM in the device. Just go straight to Apple and get the issue [ hardware/software ] taken care of within the warranty period [ or out of at $199 iirc ]

Like I said earlier, the iPhone 5S is the same exact model on VZW/TMO/ATT with Verizon's having the CDMA radio enabled in addition to the ALL GSM [ AWS ; LTE ..down to Edge ] bands.

Also, like many people have repeatedly reiterated, VZW iPhone 5S [ and quite possibly every LTE smartphone ] is mandated by the FCC to be Factory Unlocked, there is no reason to not buy the VZW iP5S if you :

- Want Factory Unlocked
- Don't want to be tied to any one carrier i.e. no contractual tie downs, no ETFs to worry about, use it within the US or Internationally [if you travel overseas].

Apple will never bother if you're on ATT or TMO and using a VZW device. There's nothing unethical about it or *working the system* here.

No fuss, no muss.

I'm curious - what is the benefit of doing this? Why not just buy the respective carrier device? Can't AT&T and T-Mobile devices be carrier unlocked after a year or so of usage? If you never intend to use the Verizon network, why bother buying a Verizon phone? How does it save you money over time?

I understand why iPad users used to buy Verizon iPads and use AT&T sims - because AT&T had faster 3G service than Verizon's 3G service in some areas. But with phones (and with the expansion of both AT&T and Verizon LTE), I am not understanding the benefit

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Correct. I bought a "Verizon" 5s off-contract at Apple Store. Put in a T-Mobile SIM, did a full restore for a fresh iOS 7.0.2 and am currently using the 5s on T-Mobile. Works perfectly, because it is (a) an unlocked phone, and (b) can be used with all the major carriers, except Sprint.

Buy the Verizon 5s off contract at an Apple Store, will give you maximum flexibility, esp. with GSM.

Does the LTE work on T-Mobile's network with a Verizon iPhone 5S? I know with the Verizon iPhone 5 you could only get HSPA+ speeds on T-Mobile's network.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I'm curious - what is the benefit of doing this? Why not just buy the respective carrier device? Can't AT&T and T-Mobile devices be carrier unlocked after a year or so of usage? If you never intend to use the Verizon network, why bother buying a Verizon phone? How does it save you money over time?

I understand why iPad users used to buy Verizon iPads and use AT&T sims - because AT&T had faster 3G service than Verizon's 3G service in some areas. But with phones (and with the expansion of both AT&T and Verizon LTE), I am not understanding the benefit

For me specifically, the benefit is that I'm able to use VZW if I need it. It isn't about saving money. AT&T has greatly improved in my area, but I travel to large concert amphitheaters roughly 5-7 days out of a year. At those venues AT&T's network slows to a crawl to the point where I can't even make a call or send a text message; huge safety issue for me. Now I will bring a VZW sim with me for those trips so I can use it as needed. TMO is still on Edge so that is out of the question.

Another benefit to me is resale value. I buy the new iPhone every year and sell the old one every year.

As others have said, the benefit is you have the option of using ATT/VZW/TMO on the same phone. I for one appreciate the awesomeness of this. Different strokes for different folks.

@rockitdog- YES

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm curious - what is the benefit of doing this? Why not just buy the respective carrier device?

Resale value. People who are seeking to buy a device-only unlocked Verizon iPhone 5S are under the impression that the value of such a device will be higher because it has CDMA capability in addition to GSM, HSPA+ and LTE, whereas the T-Mobile and and AT&T versions don't have CDMA enabled.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Resale value. People who are seeking to buy a device-only unlocked Verizon iPhone 5S are under the impression that the value of such a device will be higher because it has CDMA capability in addition to GSM, HSPA+ and LTE, whereas the T-Mobile and and AT&T versions don't have CDMA enabled.

In my case it was even less complicated. I got the Verizon version because they had the color (silver) and size (32GB) I wanted and I knew it would work. The only AT&T models they had were 64GB.

What's nice this year is that those of us on AT&T or T-Mobile looking for device-only phones can choose from 3 models this year.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I'm curious - what is the benefit of doing this? .... I am not understanding the benefit

No significant benefit per se, unless you'd want the option to have a device that works on both GSM and CDMA.

That was my reason to choose the VZW 5S. The way I look at it, the retail price on VZW/AT&T/TMO iPhone 5S is the same, and the internals are identical with Verizon having an additional radio [ CDMA ] enabled. So, given the option, wouldn't you choose to get more over less considering you're paying the exact same amount ?

I'm not planning on using VZW anytime soon, but at least I could if needed. Say I'm going to be in the boonies where TMO has trivial coverage...I could get a Verizon or AT&T Pre-paid SIM and toss it in while there [ of course, this is assuming VZW or AT&T have coverage in said area ]

In essence, since it's the same price for device only, I preferred to get one that could be used on not 2, but 3 major carriers in the US! :)

I never buy a gadget with it's re-sale value in mind...but I'm sure some do!

DirkUSA

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
I was under the impression that all iPhone 5S is unlocked whether you purchase it full price or subsidized price?? Am I wrong?

I purchased a iPhone 5S from verizon at the subsidized price and I am using it with verizon right now but I tried it with a H20 wireless nano sim and it picked up H20 (AT&T) without a problem.

macsoulo

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013

Power up device
.... Enjoy!

Simple enough..

- Want Factory Unlocked

No fuss, no muss.

Or I could simply buy the unlocked phone from the Apple store like I'm supposed to.

I'm not dealing with American carriers.

With that long paragraph, you make something simple seem like a complicated process. Most associates would have no idea what you were talking about.

That's besides the point however. The point of not even taking to a carrier during the purchase of a phone.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Or I could simply buy the unlocked phone from the Apple store like I'm supposed to.

With that long paragraph, you make something simple seem like a complicated process. Most associates would have no idea what you were talking about.

That's besides the point however. The point of not even taking to a carrier during the purchase of a phone.

Again not being rude, but what are people "supposed to do?" It is simple- walk into Apple store, buy (VZW) iphone, which comes factory unlocked, pop in your sim card. I don't get what the problem is. There are no steps involved and you don't need to talk to any carrier. Literally the only steps are buy phone, insert sim.

For those who care the information is out there, do your research prior to throwing down all this money on a phone. You are right, most associates have no clue. When I bought my 5S the associate said it won't work, I told him it will. It did, he thanked me for my insight.

macsoulo

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
Again not being rude, but what are people "supposed to do?" It is simple- walk into Apple store, buy (VZW) iphone, which comes factory unlocked, pop in your sim card. I don't get what the problem is. There are no steps involved and you don't need to talk to any carrier. Literally the only steps are buy phone, insert sim.

For those who care the information is out there, do your research prior to throwing down all this money on a phone. You are right, most associates have no clue. When I bought my 5S the associate said it won't work, I told him it will. It did, he thanked me for my insight.

That's not how you're supposed to do it. You can't even buy an Verizon iPhone on the Apple app without having a contract.

If you go to the store and say device only. That will not get you anywhere. They don't sell that way.

And anyone wanting an unlocked phone is not going to ask for a Verizon iPhone anyway.

Raibyn

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2013
South Carolina

You can walk right in to an Apple Store or Best Buy, ask for the Verizon 5s (or T-Mobile or AT&T if from Apple Store) at full retail, and leave with it unopened, unactivated, and FULLY UNLOCKED. You don't deal with Verizon at all, there is no Verizon branding on the phone, nor Verizon apps, nothing. Just a Verizon SIM pre-installed that you can simply throw away. I fail to see why this is still so confusing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's not how you're supposed to do it. You can't even buy an Verizon iPhone on the Apple app without having a contract.

If you go to the store and say device only. That will not get you anywhere. They don't sell that way.

And anyone wanting an unlocked phone is not going to ask for a Verizon iPhone anyway.

It depends on the store. I was easily able to go into an Apple Store the day after the launch and get a device-only Verizon iPhone 5s. It might be harder now that they have the in-store pickup option since their website caters only to contract buyers, though.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.

I myself walked into my local Apple store 2 days ago and said I'd like to buy a VZW 5S device only. I am typing on it now and am on AT&T. Informed people will walk in and ask for a VZW phone and not an unlocked phone, because asking for an unlocked phone at this time will get you nowhere. Yeah you are right though about the Apple Store app.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I knew that was a long winded paragraph but was intentional.

Basically, as of today, if you walk in to an Apple store and use the word ' Unlocked ' for the 5S, the associates [ or specialists, as they're called :rolleyes: ] would just say ' The 5S isn't available unlocked yet '

However, if you ask for a Verizon iPhone 5S and buy it outright, you're essentially getting an ' unlocked ' device without having the word ' unlocked ' attached to it.

That's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.