Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Canada
I received a 32GB iPad 2 for Christmas and just recently read up on backlight bleeding. I did the notorious experiment for my iPad and found that it has a noticeable yellow line of bleeding on the left hand side. I don't watch much video at night on my iPad, therefore it took me this long to notice it.

As my iPad is still on warranty, I would like to bring it in. If Apple decides to replace this iPad, will they fix it? Will they give me a replacement unit of 32GB? Will they give me a refurbished unit? Or, dare I say it, will they give me a New iPad as they are no longer selling 32GB iPad 2 models?

I want to have this defect fixed, however I am not wild about having an iPad with 16GB, in which case I would just keep my current iPad with the screen bleeding.

Thanks in advance!

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
You would get a refurb no doubt. Even if they made them still you would get a refurb.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
You will probably end up getting a 32GB refurbished unit unless they still have some brown boxed replacements left.

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Canada
Although I am grateful for warranty policies, I can't help but feel a little letdown with the fact that I received a brand new unit as a gift and end up with a refurbished unit. I understand that refurbished units are essentially brand new units, but it has still been in someone else's hands before mine.

Ah well. Life isn't always fair.

johnparjr

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Earth
Refurb from Apple is better than new I have 0 problem with it as they replace the entire outside and check the inside way better than they do new.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
You've had it for nearly 3 months... and you didn't notice anything wrong until you read complaints about it then. You really expect them to hand you a brand new box? Theres a standard return window you know.

iPad refurbs have brand new batteries and outer cases. You are still ending up with a better device then had you gotten a perfect one and kept it. Theres no reason to complain at all.

joshuaginter

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2011
Canada
You've had it for nearly 3 months... and you didn't notice anything wrong until you read complaints about it then. You really expect them to hand you a brand new box? Theres a standard return window you know.

iPad refurbs have brand new batteries and outer cases. You are still ending up with a better device then had you gotten a perfect one and kept it. Theres no reason to complain at all.

I'm not complaining at all. Disappointing that you haven't noticed that. I have tried hard to show that I am not disgruntled. Just slightly letdown.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.