Does Apple still produce the 16gb 3G iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrwashi, Aug 21, 2010.

1. mrwashi macrumors newbie

I am about to send my iPhone to Apple because my device has bad battery life and they said they will replace it for a 3G.

I heard last time from a friend that he had his 3G swapped over for a 3GS because Apple didnt make them any more so Im slightly confused.

Any one know about this or if Apple actually still hold stocks of the old iPhone 3G?

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

3G 16GB's discontinued since the 3GS hit the market, 3GS 16GB discontinued since the iphone 4 hit the market, and so on and so forth....

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

They no longer make them but depending on location they still may have them!

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Though the iPhone 3G is not being manuactured anymore, Apple orders enough hardware parts for all of their products (iPhones/iPods/Mac) to last them the next 5-10 years. You can still get the original iPod repaired by Apple.

My uncle just last month was having issues with his original iPhone (screen going bad) so he called Apple Care and got a new Original iPhone out of warranty for $199 (he still likes his original iPhone and wants to hold on to it).

now, if you go into an Apple Store they might have limited quantity iPhone 3G and so maybe that is why your friend got an upgrade, but if you send it in to Apple Care, they will have the necessary parts to fix your phone.

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Indeed, changing the battery is not an epic undertaking ;)

6. mrwashi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys thanks for the replies.

Applecare has told me that they will replace the whole phone so its not a battery replacement.

I'm just really puzzled what I will get but we will see what happens!

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

if you spoke to AppleCare, then you are getting an another iPhone 3G.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

They will replace the iPhone with what you currently have. They still have original iPhones as replacements for those with original iPhones so yes, they still have lots of 3Gs too.

9. mrwashi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah Dang I wanted a 3GS... oh well better than old refurb 3g phone I guess

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Apple keeps a supply of Refurbished Original iPhones, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3GS on hand for swaps when someone needs it. They even have refurbished iPhone 4 for those who need to swap it out already.Your iPhone 3G will be refurbished and handed to someone who needs to swap theirs. And then theirs will be refurbished for someone who needs to swap theirs. It goes on and on.

The great thing about Apple refurbished products is that the problem is fixed, and they get a new outer shell, and battery. So your refurbished replacement will have a new glass front, pastic back and new buttons. So it will look BRAND NEW.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

And, unlike the ones that are mass produced in China, every refurb is hand-tested by Apple before being approved to be distributed, so you know you're getting a high quality replacement!

12. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

it will be refurb