Does apple store test your bad screen or just exchange?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ll PiStoNs ll, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

I want to exchange my bad screen for a good screen, but, i was wondering if they make u wait in line and have it tested or did they just believe you guys when you told them the problem.

And btw does anyone know off and what the time is to exhange it? I think it was 10 days but i forget..

2. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I just told them I got a message to return mine, cause of screen issue.

3. McCord9 Suspended

exchanging your touch

I read the forums and saw that someone was told to make an appointment with a genius before they would be able to get it exchanged. So I made an appointment with a genius, showed him the Jay-Z black album image, and had new (week 38) touch within 5 minutes.

I would suggest doing the same thing. Make an appointment with a genius. They know about the issue. They just don't seem to want to let on they do.

4. frosse macrumors 6502a

What is an Apple Genius anyway, we dont seem to have those here in Sweden. But then we dont have any official Applestores. :p

5. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

I just went in Saturday and talked to the Apple Store employee that was at the register and asked him about the screen issue and whether I could just exchange it or if I would have to send it back to Apple for repairs.

He said that while they were currently out of stock (said to check back Monday), since it was the negative black issue, that he would just exchange it for a new one. I was worried that he would say something like, "Haven't heard of that issue" but he readily admitted that he had heard about it.

I'm planning on calling tonight to see if they have them in and exchange it. If they do, I'll try to post how it goes and whether they want to examine it/make an appointment with a Genius or not.

Edit - This is the Apple store at Eastview Mall, Victor New York

6. shoelessone macrumors 6502

Gerenally speaking, they are Apple store employees who know slightly more about the hardware aspect of Apple devices. They are only in official Apple stores.

Although I've only talked to a mac "genious" a few times in my life, in my experience there are a mixed bag. Some know what they are talking about, some are basically worthless and just full of ****.

7. JuicyGoo macrumors member

Just went yesterday to the NYC 5th Ave store, stood in line for the register and told the guy I wanted to exchange due to the "negative black" issue. He had heard of it only recently and took it in the back for the "technicians" to take a look at it first.

He came back asking to be shown where I saw the negative black. He instantly saw it in a photo but wasn't totally convinced with what I was showing in the videos. Granted, my screen wasn't as bad as some of the others posted.

But he turned to another guy at a register asking if he'd heard of the negative black issue. The guy said yes and saw the problem in the photo and shrugged saying "Give him another one"

i guess it all depends on who you get, but I dont think you need to make an appointment with a Genius.

8. Ninden macrumors member

Ninden

Well, I went back to my local Apple store last night. After a rather nerve wracking wait in line (It was very busy and I was the last on the list) I was able to sit down with a genius and show them the touch.

I found the best way to show them the issue was to set my background to the stones/pebbles/rocks default Apple wallpaper. Then I just hold down the sleep/standby button until it brings up the shutdown prompt. The negative effect was visible on all the stones. I was rather nervous that they would deny me, as my negative black issue was less apparent then some of the others on the forum, and one of the genius' said it might just be due to it being an LCD.

Thankfully they did exchange it, and I've got a brand new week 38 touch with a perfect screen :D

9. infectbda macrumors member

I made an appointment with a Genius at the Deer Park store. Showed him the Jay-Z cover and a clip from Star Wars, told him the screen was crappy, and he left for a few minutes. Came back with a sticker, wrote down my info, and held a new one for me. Called a couple of days later, swapped units, and that's it. Really easy and they were really cool about it.

10. SneakerFreak macrumors member

Just returned 2 week 37 iTouches to the Sheffield Meadowhall Apple store.

They refunded without question - just showed them the Jay Z black album cover and they gave a refund. They didn't have any units in stock so will wait a month or so until the issues have all been sorted.

11. seanm924 macrumors newbie

for me they just exchanged it, no questions asked. They didnt change me the restocking fee, and they let me by a week 38 16gb touch and I only had to pay the difference.

12. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

That's what I like to hear! Hopefully I will get the exact same treatment when I attempt to exchange because of stuck pixels.

13. pushateg7 macrumors member

Deer park, the new store in IL?? Awesome that one is kinda near me. What was their inventory like? I'm getting one friday, just don't know what store will have them in stock. (16GB)