Does Apple Track *SEALED* iPod Touch S/N's?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aceldama, Oct 20, 2008.

1. aceldama macrumors newbie

There's a 16GB "Factory Sealed" iPod Touch for $200 available to me - I don't know whether to suspect it's stolen or not - but if it is, will I be unable to register it on iTunes and/or get the 2.0 update? Do Apple and authorized resellers keep track of what S/N's they have in the store; and which are stolen (after accounting for the units still in the store)? Any info is appreciated; thanks!

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

if it's reported stolen, they will probably track it.

3. BraveArts macrumors member

BraveArts

By the same token, if it is indeed factory sealed then the serial number will not have been registered so you should have no trouble registering it as your own. However if it is stolen and you suspect as such, then you should report it to the police and let them investigate. Don't get me wrong I know we all want a bargain but it's a different thing entirely to buying something which you know to be stolen. That would make you an accessory after the fact an just as liable to prosecution (under UK law anyway).

4. aceldama thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Mr. Kram and BraveArts;

The seller claims he bought several wholesale and was able to register one of them to himself without any problems. They are willing to let me bring along my laptop and use their WiFi to make sure it registers on the spot (it is factory sealed). Here's to hoping they aren't waiting with a knife to get my cash AND MacBook Pro. :eek: :D

Thanks again for the input; I appreciate it!

5. jbernie macrumors 6502a

jbernie

If it sounds to good to be true....

The 16GB is $300 retail so $100 off sounds just a bit too good to me, unless maybe you are talking about a 1st gen. device in which case it would be closer to acceptable.

Anyway, isn't the s/n on the outside of the box anyway as they need to be scanned when puchased (at least at an Apple store)?

Without any more info I am still feeling uneasy about the deal being offered. How well do you know the person?

6. kyto macrumors member

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

If it's the first generation model, $200 seems like a good price. It's not low enough to seem fishy. Especially if it's a local deal, there shouldn't be an issue. You can always have the serial number sent to you (if the seller agrees) so that you can check its warranty status. If it was stolen, it will have never entered the system.

8. aceldama thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the delayed update; I've been too busy playing games and downloading apps like a drunken sailor. :D It is the thick, speakerless, older Touch. I figured it was still early enough in the game for there to be "Factory Sealed" 1G's still floating around. Supposedly they were bought wholesale; whatever - I don't care. Registration went fine! Running the S/N in advance is something I'll keep in mind for future purposes.

Thanks to all for an informative thread.