Does Apple TV count against 10 device Limit

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by metsjetsfan, Oct 2, 2015.

1. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Does anyone know if Apple TV counts against the 10 device limit for iTunes in the cloud?

The ATV2 and also the new one if anyone knows

Thanks

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i like answering questions with tips to help you get around limitations

device limit loophole
    by rigor mortis

if any of your devices are computers there is a 5 computer limit

as long as a "computer" does not have any kind of DRM media - like if every single song on that computers iTunes library is iTunes plus , you don't even need that computer signed onto iTunes at all. once you play music or watch a movie you purchased you have to sign on. but as long as you don't play anything that has DRM then you don't need to sign it on

the will free up a slot

iTunes has 2 ways to share music

the old way will not let you stream to an ios device, but you can stream to any client you want and those clients don't need to be signed onto iTunes.
    clicking on iTunes
    clicking on preferences
    click on sharing
    share my music on my local network

the new way lets you stream music to iOS devices like the apple tv and your iPhone, but it requires one of your activations.
    that one is click on file
    click on hone sharing

its a shame that some people think the old way is the legacy way and don't think anyone uses it anymore, when it has some serious advantages over the new way

you can use both sharing methods at the same time

if you have a lot of purchased music from iTunes you can have apple remove the drm by upgrading the songs by using iTunes match ( or now called itunes in the cloud ) for $25 a year, and once you cancel iTunes match, you get to keep all the music that has been upgraded to iTunes plus

3. metsjetsfan thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for this

4. Deadeyeshark macrumors regular

Deadeyeshark

Home Sharing is a great way to stream your content, but I actually hit a five Apple TV limit with home sharing, so if you need more than that you can't use home sharing on your 6th ATV.

I'll be interested to see if this limit increases with mix of ATV3 and ATV4 given its running a different OS.