Does Apple TV need to be in view of user?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MikeTheVike, Oct 25, 2013.

1. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

I want to mount an Apple TV behind a tv that is mounted to a wall. Will be used to mirror macbook over airplay. Does remote use IR or bluetooth? How does Airplay work? Thanks!

2. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Doesn't need to be in view to use airplay, as that works over wifi. If you want to use the physical remote included with ATV, then it needs to be visible. But there is an iOS app called remote where you can do everything and keep the ATV hidden wherever you want.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

The remote uses IR. Airplay works over wifi.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The included remote is IR, so you would need an IR repeater. However, the remote app for iOS devices and Airplay both work over wifi.

5. linds15 macrumors 6502a

doesnt need to be visible. remote will work if its behind the tv.
    source: i do it every day

6. gsander macrumors newbie

It depends

I have them velcro'd to the back of the set. depending on the orientation of the IR sensor it is possible to bounce IR signals off of certain surfaces and get the supplied remote to work. I, however rarely use the remote. I use the IOS app "Remote" loaded on my iPhone and iPad as the controller for the ATVs.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

a lot of people have good luck with the aTV behind the TV, with the remote sensor pointing at the floor. you may have to play with it a bit to get something to work.

airplay mirroring is not the best option for watching videos. it tends to stutter a bit when doing full frame video. as it's encoding full frame video in near real time. you will also need a very solid network connection.
    just mirroring the screen when you're looking at a lot of text works better because the screen is much more static, so less information to encode. Plus you won't notice the hiccups as much.

there are other options, like airflick. You can drag a file to it, and it will airplay the file to your aTV.

there is also plex and it's add-on plexconnect. Plex is a full blown media server, and plexconnect jumps in between your aTV and apple, and replaces all the info in the trailer app with your own stuff.

the non-mirroring options work better since it's coming off of a file, and the conversion process can read ahead. while mirroring has to wait for the image to hit the screen on your mac before it can convert.

another downside to mirroring, the remote on the aTV won't work to control your mac. so if you're watching a movie, you'll have to go to the mac to pause.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

In addition to the remote app, you can also use a bluetooth keyboard with the appleTV.

9. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Sweet. I will have to give it a shot. I have a fair amount of windows in the room where my TV is, so maybe I can get some good IR bounce.

10. cynics macrumors G4

Technically yes since the remote is IR. In practice not really. The supplied remote and receiver are very good and since IR bounces off of surfaces it will generally work if you aim it behind the TV the best you can. Or bounce it off a wall to get behind the TV.

When I'm laying on the couch I actually point the remote at the wall opposite of the TV/Apple TV because it works better. My ottoman is in the way if I point it at the TV.

11. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I'm digging Beamer

12. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

It doesn't need line of sight. just minimal obstruction.

It works behind my tv, but not always behind the wall.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Of course if there is no wall behind the TV for light to bounce off of then it probably won't work.

14. eecyclone macrumors regular

eecyclone

I might try moving my Apple TV tonight to reduce the clutter in my family room. Thanks for the tip.