Does Apple tv upgrade your standard digital copies to HD

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by crzdcolombian, Oct 7, 2013.

1. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I remember when ATV3 was announced Apple said any previously purchased movies will be upgraded to HD with the HDTV. I have over 40 movies I got with Digital copies. I have them all on the cloud but when I download them off the cloud or stream them they are in SD. I have about 5 that are newer that are HD.

Does ATV3 stream them in HD? Or is this not working for me because I technically didn't purchase them from Apple?

2. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

What they said was that if had previously purchased HD movies from Apple, (as at the time Apple HD was 720p) then you would be able to download 1080p versions at no additional cost.

If you purchased an SD movie or your Digital Download was SD then it will remain as SD unless you purchase in HD.

I have a few 720p HD movies, that when I upgrade from an AppleTV Mk1 and 720p TV to an ATV mk3 and 1080p screen I will thus be able to redownload but at 1080p rather then 720p. If you buy HD in iTunes now then can choose to download a 720p or 1080p.