Does Apple use refurbished parts in repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mavrack, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mavrack, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

Hi guys, so while I love my Macbook Pro. It has had a lot of screen issues to say the least... Couple dead pixels and the time after that a couple of stuck ones. Each time after I got a screen replacement there would be a scratch on the new lid of the display. It's one of those scratches thats a lighter then the rest of the area of the finish. It looks shiny and is only seen from looking at it from the right angle. Otherwise it is invisible. Sometimes it would be dented along the side too. So question is, does Apple use refurb parts? And have any of you experienced this too? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

According to the terms of the warranty and AppleCare, yes, they can.

3. Mavrack thread starter macrumors member

Mavrack

Thought so, irks me that they use parts that are cosmetically damaged in repairs.

4. durkkin macrumors regular

They don't. Apple has high standards even for refurb/repair parts. The terms and conditions allow them to use refurbished parts, but it's not a guarantee and most of the parts they use are actually new. All refurbished items have their batteries and exteriors replaced before being sold, and external repair parts are new. There are many explanations for small scratches and dents. **** happens. My brand new computer wasn't even flawless when I got it.