Does Apple use Solectron to repair their notebooks? (Macbook/Macbook Pro)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aphexii, Oct 22, 2007.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

Just curious as I HATE Solectron with a passion and I know many (probably most) manufacturers use them with their warranty services.

2-3 years ago I had to send a Dell Inspiron 8100 in for service over 4 times in a row. Every time i sent it in, the initial problem was not only not fixed, but they broke other things as well. One time arriving back with a cracked LCD that they tried to blame me for.

Well just now I received my Lenovo back from service and again, not only did they not fix all problems I sent it in for, but they also managed to not properly put my lcd bezel back together properly (not exactly an ideal situation with a tablet) after fixing an issue with the fingerprint reader. The entire right side of the bezel is wide open :(

Anyway, i'm done with Lenovo & Solectron. I've wanted to switch my laptop to apple for some time now (my main rig is a Mac Mini) and this is the last straw.

So... In summation... Does apple use Solectron to repair its notebooks? I really really hope not.

2. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

apple has a centralized repair facility that the apple stores will send laptops to for repairs, but if you got to a authorized service place that is not an apple store they will likely fix it in house

3. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

So the apple centralized repair center is part of apple? Or is it outsourced?

4. annexw macrumors newbie

The centralized repair center is a part of Apple as far as I know.

5. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

sorry left that out but that is correct it is part of apple ;)

6. aphexii thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome thanks... good to hear someone knows how to do it right :)

7. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

Actually, many apple stores do their repairs in house.

8. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Only if they are simple repairs, like a new keyboard or something.