Does Apple VGA Adapter (2010) Support New Video Mirroring Features For Both iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, May 10, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

At home I have the Apple VGA Adapter that came out the same time the iPad1 did. Back then, I felt I had no choice but to JB my iPad1 to mirror everything to my HDTV.

With Apple's Video Mirroring feature, i'm wondering if my original VGA Adapter would work when connecting it to my HDTV...or do I have to purchase the new cable that just came out (the one that can charge the iPad at the same time as well)?

I'm hoping that my original VGA adapter would allow video mirroring for both my iPad1 and upcoming purchase of the iPad 2...

Attached Files:

2. hoanganh macrumors member

3. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Apple's Mirroring feature only work with the new Digital AV cable(HDMI) and only on iPad 2.

4. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

I have the first VGA cable pictured and it works just fine mirroring from my ipad 2.

5. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

And you have jailbroken?

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

My apologies. I have just read that mirroring is supported via VGA adapter too.

7. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

No, my iPad 2 is not jail broken.

I have used it both at school on the smart board and at home connected to my tv, works a treat :)

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Can somebody please clarify as it is my understanding that:

a) Mirroring (see what you see on the iPad on a video screen as well) can only be achieved with the HDMI cab;e and the iPad2.

b) VGA cable (iPad 1 or 2) can only show slide shows/photos...no mirroring.

9. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

See my earlier post. It seems te iPad 2 page on the Apple Store now says mirroring is via the AV Digital Adapter and the VGA cable. Both cables will allow mirroring on an iPad 2.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Both adapters will work with both iPad versions.

Video mirroring is supported over either adapter but ONLY from an iPad 2.

11. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

Great to know....I don't think anyone thought the VGA cable would mirror as well based on Apple's own videos when the iPad2 came out.

Even bertter news for me as I planned on hooking up to projectors at work locations around the country, but most still only have a VGA link or splitter box.

12. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

Video mirroring does work with the VGA adapter but only on the iPad 2. Maybe it is disabled on the iPad because it has a different GPU.

13. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I guess I should actually go to the Apple site once and a while and look at the support section....

Video Mirroring
    You can use the Apple Digital AV Adapter or VGA Adapter to display the contents of your iPad 2 screen to a compatible TV, projector, or other external display.

Apps "mirror" by default (the external display will show the same content as your iPad 2 screen), unless designed to display different output on the external display (see Video Out below). When first connecting, it may take up to 20 seconds for the iPad 2 display to appear on the external display.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

The HDMI cable also allows you to ouput sound through your TV or compatible amp where as the VGA only outputs video.

15. Mcclure macrumors member

I have both and actually use the VGA adapter a lot more when I hook it up to a projector for use with most apps. I'm a teacher so I use it a lot for note taking software and Keynote. With the HDMI cable I had problems with the resolution. The mirroring was always a small part of the screen due to the high resolution of HDMI vs. the "low" resolution of the iPad. With the VGA adapter it shows full screen on the projector.

16. rikbrown macrumors regular

Slightly off topic - but is there any noticeable slow down when mirroring? Either lagginess in iOS operation, or reduced game FPS?

17. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

The VGA plus iPad 2 let's you mirror everything, not just videos and slideshows.

18. Mr. Luigi macrumors member

Use 3.5 mm headphone jack to get Audio with VGA

True. VGA is only video. If you want audio with VGA connection you must use the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the iPad to output audio to amplifier or amplified speakers.