Does Applecare become void after physical damage has been done to your computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Niko, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Niko macrumors newbie

I have a 6 moth old macbook that has a small crack on the edge of palm rest. The crack came about after repeatedly carrying my laptop in my backpack with heavy books. The laptop had its own compartment and it was even in an anti-shock sleeve. For those who have a Macbook, you will notice that there are two thin supports on the top of laptop that basically keeps the lcd screen off the keyboard when it is closed. Apparently, one of the supports was squashed into the palm rest, which caused a small crack.

The laptop is perfectly fine otherwise but my concern is if something else should go wrong with my computer, the will use they crack as a reason not to fix it. Can they do that? I am guessing they could link every possible hardware failure to me "sabotaging" my computer.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It depends on the type of damage. If you take a bat to it an break the lcd they won't fix it.

3. Niko thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that if you smash your screen with a bat, it won't be fixed under Applecare. Now back to my original post, if say my battery should fail and I bring it to the Apple store will they fix it even with the small crack on the palm rest? I WOULD NOT want them to fix the crack just the battery.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Not only does it depend on the damage type, it depends on the mood of the person who inspects it. It's another reason to avoid Applecare; a technician can point to a dent or a crack anywhere and use that to refuse to service the machine. And the burden of proof isn't on Apple to fix your machine; it's on you to prove your machine needs fixing, and that none of your actions led to its defective state.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If the crack isn't related to the problem then I don't think it will matter.

6. Niko thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you saying it is up to the discretion of the person fixing it?

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Basically, yeah.