Does AppleCare Cover Dead Pixels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blaklaybul, Jun 29, 2008.

1. blaklaybul macrumors regular

blaklaybul

I bought my MBP less than a year ago and Ive started to notice patches of several dead pixels on the lower right of my screen. There is a patch of about 20 fully lit white pixels and another line of about 15 white pixels. They dont seem dead because I always though dead pixels were completely dim. I keep my MBP in perfect condition and have never dropped it our slammed the display closed.

Will Apple replace the screen (or MBP)? I have AppleCare.

Thanks

2. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

hell yes
    and if they don't apple deserves a slap in the face!
    seriously all hardware malfunctions that were not user induced are covered.

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

ispoody's comments are simply not true with regards to dead pixels. Apple has a specific policy concerning this problem. You can look it up on their site, but I believe that it is either 6 or 8 dead pixels would constitute a defect that is covered. I also believe there may be something stated with regards to the location of the dead pixels.

In any event, with the way that the OP describes his situation, it should definitely be covered, and I would take it in immediately for repair.

Good luck......

4. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

does anyone know what they will do for me in this case?

will they make me send my computer away and wait for a repair? or will they replace my MBP on the spot?

My concern is that I do alot of video and photo editing for my current summer job. I could not be without my computer for a long period of time, but I do need this issue fixed.

Thanks

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yup.. Did my 1st Gen one...

I am quite sure they will.. mine (First Gen 1.83GHz) was looked at and another Screen Ordered on the spot (had 2 small but annoying "patches"). They Called me about a week later when it was in and I had it back in 4 hours +/- . BTW: I am in Canada and screen came from California.

The "replacement process" included the Complete Top Lid Assm (may still be the same I guess) so if you have any scratches or dents it really Spruces Up the Old Machine!!

Lemme know how it goes..
    Bob:D

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If they have the part in stock, they take your computer and repair it; if they don't have the part, they order it and tell you to bring the computer back when they get the part; I believe the turnaround time for the repair is 24 hours, but it rarely takes half that long.

7. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

I have a glossy screen... If they have to replace the screen do you think that they could hook me up with matte screen in the process?

8. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

9. ManWithhat macrumors regular

If you're looking a a completely white screen, it would be a black dot (pixel) that will no longer show color or light.

10. blaklaybul thread starter macrumors regular

blaklaybul

.......hmmmmm

then my pixels aren't dead. On a completely white screen the patches are completely lit white pixels.

What are they?

11. Whiternoise macrumors member

As far as i'm aware there are three main types of pixel problems.

Dead pixels simply do not work. Hot pixels are always on.

Stuck pixels are stuck on a certain colour, and may only be triggered under certain circumstances. For instance, my Nintendo DS has a stuck pixel that only shows up when the screen is all black - and it's pink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_pixel

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

13. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I would like to know this as well? :apple:

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

dead pixels are black. Best seen against a white background. They look like black specs on the screen that dont go away even after you clean the screen.

stuck pixels are pixels that are stuck one specific color. Cycling colors with LCDTest or something similar will reveal those.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I know in Asia in Korea and Japan that when you buy anything that has an lcd on it, you actually can take it to the back and check for dead/stuck pixels with the program until you get one its perfect. I think samsung and sony back this up.