Does AppleCare cover displays?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SteelWheel, Jan 14, 2011.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

My MBP was purchased in May 2008, with AppleCare. Been working great all this time, no complaints. I'm on the road now, and had an attack of fumble-fingers. Result: A perfectly functioning MBP with a totally FUBARed display. Just looking at it makes me want to cry. The thing is more or less useless now, although I could probably hook up an external monitor to it with no problem (kinda defeats the whole point of a portable computer, though).

So: First, is this sort of thing covered by AppleCare? If so, what should I expect for a turnaround time on the repair job? And, since this is just a display issue, do I really need to back up my entire hard drive?

If they won't cover it, I may just get a new MBP now. A little annoying, since I was hoping to wait for the next refresh of the MBPs, and possibly until Lion, but I guess sometimes one just has to suck it up.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like you dropped it, and Apple Care does not cover accidental damage

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It won't be covered since it is accidental damage, if you want it repaired, it will probably cost about $300 for the display, I'm not positive on that price though. And you probably want to back up the HD anyway, especially since you dropped it, you could start having problems even if you take it into Apple and they don't wipe it.

4. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hey...It's worth a shot. Just be honest and tell them what happened. I had a friend who dropped his MBP and the whole side got messed up. They replaced the whole body, superdrive, and logicboard for free....

5. SteelWheel thread starter macrumors member

Do you have any idea how long it took? The MBP is my primary workhorse machine. Being forced to get by with just an iPad until I get home in a couple of days is driving me nuts--to say nothing of making me less productive. Thanks.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

You seem to have a nice attitude about things ... If there is no obvious damage to the computer ... Make an Appointment online to take it to the Genius Bar (they love people that do this as apposed to just showing up)

Be calm and say ... the screen stopped working and you need your computer to stay on top of your business.

There is a good chance with your pleasant attitude ... they will fix it (and if the parts are in stock probably 1-3 days.

Good Luck

7. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Really depends if they have the part in stock. If they do, like Apple OC said, probably 1-3 days. (I would guess closer to 3)

If they don't have it in stock-could be 5-7 days.

8. SteelWheel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for helpful and encouraging responses, guys. I'm back home now, and planning on backing up before my Genius appointment. Believe it or not, I've never backed up before (I know, shoot me..). What's the best way to go for my purposes? Time Machine, Super Duper, Carbon Copy Cloner...?

It looks like Super Duper would be best, since I could make a bootable copy of the drive, continue to work from the copy on my Mac Mini (?), and then restore back to the MBP when I'm done if I've made any major changes during the down time. Do I understand this all correctly?

Genius appointment on Tuesday, will try to make it for tomorrow if I can get this all done the right way by then. Thanks again.

9. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Funny this thread came up. I just got back from the genius bar dropping off my 2009 MBP for a display issue. I had developed a small light spot in it after the display was just replaced.....cat surfed it off couch and it went all wonky...I was honest with them the first time and since there where no dents they fixed it for free. This. Time it seems to be a defective display...to be honest the spot was so tiny. You could barely see it. The tech looked at it and said he didn't have a display in stock but will have one Tuesday and I could pick it up. Tuesday evening. I was so prepared for a fight it was almost disappointing that it was that quick and easy.

i did notice on my receipt it said screen cost 341 dollars and 30 dollars labor...so if it was out of pocket that's not too bad , thank god for AppleCare

10. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Apple's part costs are always bloated. They replaced the 250GB 5400RPM HDD in my MBP, and they listed the part is $132. You can easily buy a HDD with those specs brand new for about $30 - $40.

11. ender land macrumors 6502a

This thread makes me want to purchase AppleCare for my 3 month old MBP :D

12. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

You should. Check out amazon and eBay for established sellers. Be sure you're getting the sealed box and not just a code. You could save some money

AppleCare is worth it.

13. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

I can tell you from personal experience. You def get treated better when you go in with AppleCare . It almost seems as if they kinda put your needs on a higher level than someone who walks i with just their standard warranty. Unfair? Ehhhh maybe or maybe they see it as a initiative on your part and a committal to the brand...not really sure why but i have experienced it a few times.

My base warranty ran out on the tenth and I just purchased my applecare the same day....lucky for me I did.

14. ZenErik macrumors 6502

The guy asked me if I was considering AppleCare when I picked up my MBP after it needed a new logic board. I told him the truth. Waiting to see whether the next 13" model has an i3 or i5 instead of an C2D before I decide.

15. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

How did bootcamp "brick" your mac?

16. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Tried to install Windows XP Professional x86 Service Pack 2 on a customer's computer, and it kept having errors and not finishing the install. So, I tried to do the same thing on my own laptop to see if the results would be any different. Same exact model... And it bricked the machine. Sometime after loading the drivers it rebooted to a white screen and that was that. No sort of resets worked. The guy at the Genius Bar said HDD cable, but they ended up having to change the whole board to get the computer running again. :p

17. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I tried to install Windows 7 x86 Ultimate, and it didn't work. It worked on my brother's MBP that is identical to mine. I am thinking that mine also needs a replacement logic board... If they replace the logic board, that would be my third major repair. First repair was a replacement topcase, HDD, HDD cable, internal speakers, battery, and magsafe board. The second repair was a replacement of the display assembly.

I ended up just doing an install of Windows XP Professional.

18. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

My son just recently stepped on my laptop shattering the screen. They replace the whole top portion of the computer, not components within the LCD. I pick it up tomorrow but its costing me $500 + tax. I do have a hi-res AG screen but dont think there is much price difference in the various screens. Apple store was the cheapest route, as I went to other Apple Authorized Dealers and they wanted $850 for the repair......It has taken Apple 10 days to repair it though...even though they got the part in the next day after I dropped it off. time depends on how busy they are....