Does AppleCare+ cover minor cosmetic damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eliehass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. eliehass macrumors regular

I know that AppleCare+ covers accidental damage, so if I shatter my iPhone 4S screen it's covered, but I was wondering if they would also cover minor damage. I have a slight scratch on my screen that drives me crazy. Do you think I could get my iPhone replaced for that under warranty?

2. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

You could "drop" your phone to make sure they replace it

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Replacing the phone just because of minor scratch isn't worth paying $49. You could easily get a screen protector to cover it and you won't notice any scratches. If it's really bothering you then I would suggest the above. Drop your phone from your shoulder height and make sure that the front glass breaks. Then set up an appoint, then replace it. Make sure you don't just crack the back glass because if only the back glass is broken then they will only replace the back for $29.

4. saccento macrumors 6502a

saccento

+1 if the minor scratch is worth paying the $49 by all means do it...

5. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Not only is a small scratch not worth paying the $49, but you also only get 2 claims. Do you really want to swap it out for something minor?

Shoulder height? No need to waste all that energy lifting it that high, a fall from the hip is sufficient enough to break the phone.

6. nephron8 macrumors regular

what are chances of getting brand new phone?

if you see other devices,they allot factory refurbished phones.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Its probably a refurbished phone too...

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

When it gets close to the end of two years and I haven't used any replacements I may consider asking for one to help with all the scratches my screen always gets.

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Well that's a different story. He's at most, what, 8 months into it? That's a lot of time left.

Also, I really doubt they would replace the phone for some surface scratches anyway.

10. eliehass thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies. I'm probably going to want to sell my iPhone when the next model comes out. Depending on how much I can get for it with the scratch, I may just worry about replacing it then.

11. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Some are ridiculous. I've dropped mine out of a second floor window onto the road and it didn't break, yesterday out of my bag, bounced onto the bricks, then hit face down on tiles, nothing. My brother bumped his about 80cm from the ground onto carpet, smashed the front, looks terrible. I swear, my really early iPhone 4 is made of wunderglass. Crazy times.

12. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

This!!!