Does Applecare cover the 17 mbp uni battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by miguelito, Mar 5, 2009.

1. miguelito macrumors member

miguelito

In all likelihood, my 17" mbp's battery will need replacement in 2-3 years.

Would Applecare cover this replacement?

Thx.

miguel

2. technotica macrumors member

Wasn't there some info somewhere that replacing the 17" battery will cost 149$?

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know for fact, but I can't see how it would. I'd expect coverage for maybe 6 months to a year, but I'd be amazed if it was any longer. Even with AppleCare.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it needs replacing through normal usage: i.e. it's capacity has gone down as expected given the cycle count then no. If it's actually defective/dies faster than it should then yes.

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I was curious about this as well so I called apple and the guy there told me that as long as its under applecare warranty apple will replace the battery.

It doesn't matter how many cycles you have put it through. Under warranty=covered.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

AppleCare T&C (for North America).

7. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

So that's confusing. Covered or not? I have the guys full name I talked to. My guess is that its covered as long as its under applecare, just like a drive or logic board or ram. Ill just get an email answer from apple and if they say covered under warranty then, covered under warranty.

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Even if that precisely contradicts the policy written in the AppleCare T&C's?

The other items you mention will be covered, they're not consumable.

Think of it like a car. Brakes are never covered, they wear and that's natural. If they actually fail unexpectedly that's one thing and you may be covered, if they naturally wear out you'll be paying for new ones yourself.

9. technotica macrumors member

If you use a battery and it nears its end of life why would they replace it? And why would they treat it differently than the exchangeable batteries of the 15" Macbooks ? If it has a defect, sure but if its just normal wear and tear they won't replace it for free.

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

The new internal batteries must be different. Ive had two different apple employees tell me the battery, as long as its under warranty, will be replaced if it goes bad for any reason. Call them and ask yourself. Apple site wont let me email tech support for unibodies so I cant get it in writing........(just like apple, leave it vague)

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

For 5 Years if:

1) Health drops below 80% before 1000 cycles
    2) Some defect
    3) Recall

If you passed 1000 cycles then it dropped to 80% health, it won't be covered.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's not true.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Unless you can back that up, I don't believe it.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me neither. 1000 cycles is an approximation, and it's usually within a wide range, just like a typical lithium-ion battery will last somewhere between 300-500 full charge cycles. Apple would only replace a laptop's battery if it was obviously defective, say it only held 1 hour charge after just 6 months of ownership. People have reported here that even after 12-16 months of usage, Apple wouldn't replace the battery for them.

The life of the 17" MBP's battery is probably estimated within a acceptable range, and it's rarely related to the age of the battery unless you're talking about exceptionally young batteries dying. These batteries will probably only last 3.5 years if used excessively (i.e. always on battery power), while it may last 6 years if it's treated well and not used excessively, or infrequently.

Like brakes in a car, its lifetime is too dependent on how you use it for them to cover it under warranty unless the case is exceptional.

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your replacement coverage for a defective battery to three years from the date of your notebook purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan. However, the AppleCare Protection Plan for notebook computers does not cover batteries that have failed or are exhibiting diminished capacity except when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect.

16. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's closer to what apple told me but that's also a slippery slope because how do you show that the diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect or abuse or just normal wear and tear?

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is where it becomes a judgement call by Apple, or more specifically the "genius" you get your appointment with. Murky waters indeed.

So it's basically as we thought all along. If they believe there is an actual fault and you are under warranty either by the standard 12 month or extended 3 years though AppleCare, then it will be replaced. If they deem the "failure" to be due to standard usage you'll be coughing up for the replacement yourself. Which is really how I'd expect it to be.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Exactly.

There has to be a defect in the battery, and I'm sorry, but after 2 years (for example), if there was no fault with the battery so far, the diminished battery life won't be due to a fault. I guess they'd replace it if your laptop would randomly shut down while on battery power, or if it bulged and didn't fit in your machine anymore (which has been reported numerous times). Otherwise, its capacity has diminished naturally with age, they'll say.

There's no set "threshold" below which you can say "the battery will be replaced by us".