Does applecare cover the backlit keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zillicah, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Zillicah macrumors member

If my keyboard's backlighting stops working because the leds burned out or w/e, will apple care replace them for free? if not, how much will it cost to replace?

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

AppleCare covers everything except accidental damage and physical abuse. Give them a call or stop by the Apple Store. A repair is free if you're still covered.

3. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member

I know that, but would the LEDs burning out be considered abuse or physical damage?

4. pdubak macrumors member

Not unless you spilled something or dented it pretty hard.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

What do you think abuse means, and/or what do you do to your computer that you think you are going to abuse the LEDs to the point of burning out? :confused:

(In other words, of course the LEDs burning out would be covered... but LEDs tend to last a very long time)

6. pdubak macrumors member

The LED's themselves wouldn't be replaced by the technician. It would be something bigger like a keyboard assembly. There are a lot of circuits and components inside involved that make your keyboard light up and a lot of things that can go wrong.

What would "I" consider as abuse/accidental damage?

If your outer cases are flush and lined up and don't have any large dents I can't see you dropping your computer to the point of it affecting internal hardware. If your keyboard or anything else inside isn't sticky or smells like yesterdays coffee, I can assume you didn't spill anything on it. If something stops working and you didn't do anything to your computer to make it stop working, it's covered.

7. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member

I'm asking this because there is an app called "iSpazz" and I heard it might ruin the LEDs. If iSpazz does this, will applecare fix it under warranty?

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Will Apple fix it? Almost certainly, because they would have no way to know what caused the damage.

With that said, it seems unethical to me to use iSpazz while believing it has a realistic chance of damaging your computer, just because you think Apple will pay for the repair.

9. Zillicah thread starter macrumors member