Does Applecare extend after repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zflauaus, Jun 16, 2011.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I'm taking in my 2008 Penryn MBP for repairs on my superdrive, Firewire, battery and display. My coverage expires on July 3rd. My concern is that if something else happens within, say, a month, I will be SOL. Does anybody know if the coverage or some sort of coverage extends the day of Applecare from the day of the repair? (Say, go from 17 days left to 30 days if I were to take it in today.)

2. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I don't think there's an actual official extension on that. But this happened once to me (in my case, the standard 1yr warranty expired) and they just gave me a break and did it anyway. Apple are usually very understanding with their customers and if your fix didn't come out right should anything happen post-expiration date, you could just go back, explain, and they'll most likely take a loot at it regardless.

3. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

It's normally 90 days or to the end of the AppleCare term, which ever is later. So in your case it would be 90 days.

However, I can't find that in the AppleCare terms and conditions. I think it is from the warranty on the parts themselves, as seen here. Note that this is subject to consumer protection laws, which in some parts of the world would mandate better terms than the 90 days Apple provides.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know on iphones, each replacement has a 90 day warranty separate from any applecare

5. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Awesome. That's all I needed to know. Secretly hoping for my replacement as it's my third repair in a year but I'll take the 90 day warranty.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Go for the replacement if you can! That's worth a hell of a lot more than a 90 day warranty! Were all three issues the same? Because that gives you a reasonable chance of a replacement. If not, try your luck anyway. They can only say no! :)

7. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

The first was the well-known video card issue. They replaced the logic board. Then it was the fans that went out. Now I've got another logic board issue (Firewire) and other issues. Hell, I'm ready to get a new MBP but if I can get a replacement oooooh boy, they'd have a customer for life haha.