Does Applecare get discounted with time?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joogle, Nov 12, 2015.

1. joogle macrumors newbie

Hi - I have bought a Macbook Pro 2015 model where it is eligible for Apple Care, the standard warranty expires July 2016.

I wanted to know does Applecare warranty get cheaper with time. I mean like if I buy it discounted today at Retail, will it more likely be cheaper in June 2016?

Thanks

2. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

Not that I know of. You're paying for the two years extra coverage, not the one year already provided.

3. joogle thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I just meant to inquire whether any advantage in purchasing in June 2016 vs November 2015.

4. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

Not unless Apple lowers the prices for Apple Care in general. It's not like you have to proof to Apple you won't destruct your Mac in the first year and they will give you a discount for good behaviour. However, you can always wait until the last moment to find the best deal. Maybe some store will offer it at a discount, like you already mentioned with Retail. As long as you activate Apple Care before the first year ends (maybe there is a grace period of one month) you are covered for the two years extra.

I heard eBay offers cheap(er) Apple Care, but I'm not sure how trustworthy eBay is when it comes to valid Apple Care packages.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Not likely unless you happen to find one on eBay for cheaper.

6. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

eBay does not offer that many Apple Care packages as it used to. Maybe they finally found a way to eliminate the faux Apple Care offers. Which appear to be all offers? There are two resellers offering Apple Care for the Macbook Pro 15" Retina for $240, which is the same price as Apple.

7. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

I've not seen it get cheaper, ever. The prices today are mostly the same as the prices 10 years ago.

Students get a discount.

If you buy from eBay, make sure you get an actual Apple box, not a cracked code.

8. sofdog macrumors newbie

sofdog

I see Apple selling Applecare for a 13" Macbook pro for $183.00. All of the online re-sellers are charging $249.00. I'm thinking I'm going to buy my MBP from a re-seller and the Applecare from Apple.

9. DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

Be aware there is AppleCare for MacBook / MacBook Air / MacBook pro 13" selling at $183 and AppleCare for Macbook pro 15" selling for $249. At the online Apple Store there is even a distinction between retina and non-retina for both sizes Macbook Pros, although the prices are the same.

10. joogle thread starter macrumors newbie

do you have the apple link to the 15" for $249? I keep seeing $349.

thanks

11. DaakuMaujii, Nov 13, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

DaakuMaujii macrumors member

DaakuMaujii

Sorry, the prices are for the education store (see http://www.apple.com/us-hed/shop/pr...583/applecare-protection-plan-for-macbook-pro). Forgot to log out of the education store.

Without educational discount the price for the 15" retina AppleCare is indeed $349 (see http://www.apple.com/shop/product/APPLECAREMBP-102583/applecare-protection-plan-for-macbook-pro)

However, there are two resellers from the United state on eBay that sell AppleCare at $239.99:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Care-...998707?hash=item2a5bd03733:g:84MAAOSwwbdWMbhZ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AppleCare-P...124849?hash=item235cd20bf1:g:6J8AAOSwT5tWQnyt

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The short answer to your question is no.

The long answer is you may be able to get it cheaper through B&H or similar.