Does Applecare require the receipt?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ZebraineZ, Nov 16, 2009.

1. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Just need a straight forward answer ;o I received the unibody 13 inch macbook days before the pro came out on Jun 2nd, and because of family troubles I never got the chance to get the receipt, and it's probably long gone by now.

Can I buy applecare and use apple's serial number checker thing as proof that my computer is still within it's warranty limits (I didn't do anything to void it) and buy Applecare? Or will they not let me use it because I don't have my receipt even though the serial number thing says my warranty expires on Jun 1, 2010.

Err help me :( My computers battery is sort of dying and since this cost 100$ more then the 13 inch pro with half the stuff (more ram, firewire, huge plus to the battery) I don't want to pay even more for the repairs that I know would have never existed if it was the pro.... err grr.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, you don't need a receipt to prove your machine is within the 1 year warranty. Unless you're days away from that one year expiring and somehow Apple is saying it's too late. I don't thinks that's your issue.

I will say that the word "pro" doesn't somehow magically make a notebook less problematic. Nor does it prevent a battery from being utter crap. Search these very forums to understand that "pro" owners also suffer battery issues from time to time. That's the nature of the game.

3. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I was just using it for short because the darn name is too long :p yeah I know but I like to keep whatever I have for a long time, I've had my white macbook have it's hard drive and battery die :p then replaced for free thank god, which is why I'm creep scared as we didn't have a receipt last time either, and like it's screen is broken badly but my mom uses it with a monitor at her office so all is ok hopefully with that ^__^ even though the new battery life/cycles on it during 1 year of usage is comparable to 4-5 months of usage on my unibody, so I'm just really scared something happens and I won't be able to do anything about it, I rather spend the money on the apple care just for the feeling of knowing I'm safe.

4. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

No. Go the Apple website and enter your machine's serial number. They keep a record of all that stuff and the site will tell you whether or not your machine is still covered.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...there are times where APP will ask you for the receipt, especially if you didn't get it direct from :apple:... I had to scan/fax my NEX original receipt to APP as they showed my machine wasn't eligible for APP due to the age of the machine as it seemed it was entered into their system when the NEX "reseller" purchased it from their supply chain... with my original receipt I got my full applecare back from my proven purchase date.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yes, the only time a receipt is necessary is when you didn't purchase the machine directly from Apple. The reason being is because the warranty for the machine starts from the day it is purchased from Apple, so if you get it from a reseller the original purchase date was when they bought it from Apple, not you. The simple reason is because a resellers computer isn't linked to Apple's to show the end users purchase date.

Usually not a big deal, however sometimes a computer can be sitting on a shelf for a few weeks or even a month which can be significant for the warranty.

7. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Dont forget the 1 year clocks starts from the time of purchase and not first user (registration date).

8. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

That's really scary... This macbook the guy said was bought from the apple store in the glendale mall (the place where I live near to) and showed me the receipt but I guess he didn't give me the receipt, so yeah this macbook was purchased on Jun 2nd, and warranty ends according to the SN on Jun 1st.

My white macbook was bought on halloween of 07 and was sent in on halloween of 08 for repairs, bought from best buy so that was pretty scary :)