Does Apple's "DVD Player" support AC3 surround sound?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Chase R, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I'm storing all of my DVDs on an external drive in there original state (VIDEO_TS folders) not converted. When I watch these on my MacBook that I would have plugged into my receiver via a fiber optic cable, would I have surround sound like I would if I was just playing them in a regular DVD player?

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, DVD Player does AC3 passthrough provided you enable it. You do so in the Preferences, but make sure you DO NOT have a DVD inserted when you enable it, otherwise it will not be an available option. Once set, it is set until you change it.

Easier is using Plex, though. It does AC3 and DTS passthrough out of the package.

3. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Thank you; just what I was looking for.

4. Chase R thread starter macrumors 65816

Chase R

Also one more question. I didn't realize that front row supports playback from VIDEO_TS folders, but since it does can it output AC-3 audio like DVD Player can?

I know that it can't do AC-3 when were talking about .mp4 movies because it relies on Quicktime for playback, but it must use DVD player (which supports AC-3) in the background instead to play VIDEO_TS folders.

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't know - I don't use FR or QT, I use Plex (which does AC-3 and DTS passthrough). You'll have to give it a try and see. Probably be a good idea to report back here for future queries.

6. Alrescha macrumors 68000

Yes it can, but I have read there is an issue/bug when FrontRow plays its non-AC3 user-interface sounds. The workaround is to turn off those sounds in FrontRow settings.

A.
    (who tried not to laugh when CaveMan suggested that installing and learning about Plex was easier than clicking a box in DVD Player)

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

For AC3 playback, Plex is easier. It comes out of the package with Digital Audio output enabled. There are no hoops to jump through as there are with QT/FR and DVD Player.