Does Apple's own site crash on your iOS 7 device?

Does Safari crash on your iOS device with the following Apple link?

• Yes, it crashes while it is loading or after zooming in/double tap (portrait or landscape)

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • No, it is stable using it in portrait or landscape mode

Votes: 34 66.7%

• Total voters

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
I believe many running iOS 7 will crash the Safari app going to Apple's own site:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/features/

It crashes either when it is loading the website or after it completely loads and try to zoom in/double tap. This page is the ultimate litmus test to see whether Apple finally fixed the JavaScript/Webkit/HTML memory leak in Safari. If it works fine in portrait mode, try using it in landscape and then zoom in/double tap.

iOS 7 consumes too much System RAM (thus leaving low free RAM) and why Safari crashes so much compared to iOS 6. Perhaps 7.1 beta's added more free RAM compared to 7.0.4?

Please state what device you are running and the firmware version.

iArch

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
All Over
iPad Air on 7.0.4. First time I clicked on the Apple link (in landscape, nothing else running in background, no other tabs active) it blew up Safari pretty much right away - even before very much of the new tab had loaded. To the point where Safari didn't even remember this page upon reopening. Good grief. Tried again a second time in portrait and the new tab opened and loaded.

I haven't a clue what's going on, but these crashes (and the endless reloads) are unacceptable.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
iOS 7 has nothing to do with it, it's just a very big website. I just tried loading it on my iOS 6 device and it crashed before any images started loading.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Doesn't seem to crash on iPhone 5 running iOS 7.1 beta 3.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Working fine on iOS 7.0.4 on my iPhone 5 :confused: it's a bit slow in some areas of the webpage, but no crashes of any kind.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I believe many running iOS 7 will crash the Safari app going to Apple's own site:

http://www.apple.com/iphone-5s/features/

It crashes either when it is loading the website or after it completely loads and try to zoom in/double tap. This page is the ultimate litmus test to see whether Apple finally fixed the JavaScript/Webkit/HTML memory leak in Safari. If it works fine in portrait mode, try using it in landscape and then zoom in/double tap.

iOS 7 consumes too much System RAM (thus leaving low free RAM) and why Safari crashes so much compared to iOS 6. Perhaps 7.1 beta's added more free RAM compared to 7.0.4?

Please state what device you are running and the firmware version.
It crashed on my iPhone 4S with iOS 6

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I thought you were full of it. Loaded the page on my 4S and it was fine. So I started scrolling around and zooming in and out for a minute or so and boom, crashed safari.

iPhone 4S iOS 7.0.4

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Since my last post I tried this on my iPad 3, and my friends 5, 5C and iPad 4 and I can make them all crash. Some required a bit more work then others, zooming in and out and scrolling but I can make it happen on all iOS devices I've tested.

Guess it's not a huge deal since I never noticed it but be nice when it's fixed.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
i have never had apples site crash but safari in general terms crashes a lot on my ipad. Maybe this will be fixed soon. I do notice my ipad slows down on apples site so maybe the site is a little too much for apple devices to handle.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
iOS7 has been the crashiest mobile OS I've used in the last 5 years. Safari drops out on me several times a day.

touchipods

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Hoping iOS 7.1 fixed Safari crashing issues. How much Free RAM after a reboot with nothing running in the background?

sn

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Yeah, just tried it out and crashing for me when I zoom in and scroll around a bit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.