Does AT&T give prorated refund?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nuc, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

So I got the final AT&T bill. They charged me for the early termination fee ($80), taxes, and some text messages (don't have a text plan).

I pay one month in advance until 2/17/2011 (like I assume everyone else does) and I had 6 days left on the cycle. I called AT&T to tell them that I didn't see a credit for the unused days I had left on the cycle. Does AT&T not give a prorated refund for the unused days? I asked him if I had only used 1 day on the bill they would still charge me for the full month (seems really shady!).

Just wondering. I thought it was shady but I'm glad that I moved to Verizon! I've been much happier with the VZ iPhone than the iPhone on AT&T!

Thanks,

Nuc

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm pretty sure they prorate the bills. Not sure if the first month counts though.

3. Nuc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I have been with them since June 2009. I switched back to VZ for the iPhone. It's been my experience that most companies give you back the unused portion of the bill. I was expecting ~6/31*$xx.xx credit since I used 25 days of service. Would that be what you would expect?

4. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

They told me we don't refund, tough @&$- (paraphrasing)...

5. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I don't know about AT&T but I know that Verizon does not give a partial refund. When I switched to AT&T for the iPhone 4 I had about 20 days left on that month with Verizon. I switched my number and Verizon told me that they didn't give refunds. I thought they could apply a credit to the ETF but that didn't happen either.

6. Middiebear macrumors member

Cancellations are always set to the last day of the billing cycle, so because you're billed in advance... You wouldn't see a pro-rated credit on the final bill.

If you CHOOSE to cancel early within the billing cycle then you still will not see a pro-rated refund on your final bill, unless you're billed in arrears (it's not possible to switch from advance to arrears billing).

Does that seem fair... of course not, but it's still your choice to cancel early within the billing cycle... So because you're already paying for the month in advance it makes sense to just wait and go ahead and cancel on the last day of your billing cycle.

If you call in to AT&T to cancel your service then the CSR that processes the cancellation should go over these final bill expectations with you...