Does AT&T offer test drives?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2A Batterie, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I used to work on a marketing program for Verizon and the BlackBerry Storm and loved the fact that VzW offered new customers a 30 day test drive... if someone purchased a new phone and a new contract they had 30 days to return and cancel with no charge if they didn't like it. I really want to buy an iPhone, but I'm afraid that I may not like the device or the wireless coverage. I'd get one this weekend if AT&T offered something similar to VzW's "worry-free guarantee". Does anyone have any knowledge of AT&T doing this, or am I locked in as soon as I purchase a phone and sign a contract?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can cancel your contract, but if you do it within 30 days, you're forcibly made to return the iPhone.

So, yeah, that's pretty much the same thing.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Pretty much all cell carriers in the US have a standard 30 day trial period. AT&T has it too, so you'll be fine.

4. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I would return the phone if I canceled my contract. I'm fairly sure that is a given. I'm just worried about AT&T sticking it to me somehow.

5. 2056 macrumors 6502

remember you'll have to pay the data/voice charges if you cancel within the 30 day mark

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

They won't. If you return it and cancel within 30 days, you're done. I did it once a couple years ago. Retuning and canceling was a painless process.

7. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

See, that's why At&T scares me. Verizon doesn't charge for ANYTHING if you return within 30 days. Grr... decisions , decisions.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I don't get what there is to be scared about.

Also: when I canceled my first go-round, the "first and final" bill I got from AT&T was $0, even though I made calls.

Here's what you should do: go to an AT&T store and talk to a rep. Ask him or her all the questions you need to get the information you want. And then make your decision.

There's no need to be scared. Frankly, AT&T is no more or less "evil" or "scary" than Verizon is. If you've dealt with Verizon, you can deal with AT&T.

9. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

To the OP- I'm in the exact same boat. My Verizon contract is currently up on January 21st. I want to get the iPhone, but I don't want to make the 2-year plunge into ATT before I am sure I like it, and the iPhone itself.

So, here's what I'm thinking of doing...I am going to get the iPhone today or tomorrow, and get it with a new (or temporary) number.

I will tell all my close friends my "new" number, or people that text or call me often, so that when they call me I can get a feel for the iPhone and how ATT's network is. Meanwhile, I'll carry around 2 phones for a bit.

Like I said, my Verizon contract is up on the 21st. If I decide to make the commitment to ATT before that date, I'll be able to switch my Verizon number to the iPhone, and thus end my Verizon contract.

If I need more time to decide, I'll extend my Verizon service with a pre-paid plan so I can keep my number and service but still test-drive the iPhone.

If I don't like ATT, I can cancel within 30 days, pay for what I used, and continue my service with Verizon.

I have thought about: If they come out with a 32GB model and the 16GB becomes $199 within my 30 days, can I cancel everything and then go to a different ATT store and do everything over again?

10. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Yes that's what I did (well not from an iPhone 16GB to 32GB) but from a Nokia to iPhone 16GB, as long as you're within the 30 days you can cancel everything and that includes returning the phone you used, then re-do it using a different phone, in your assumption the iPhone 32GB.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What is wrong with that? You are using the service, and so you should pay for it.

12. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

So, you could browse the web all day, call 5 hours to Singapur, text back and forth to Spain, and you wouldn't get charged a dime?

Highly unlikely

13. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

doesnt at&t have a 10% restocking fee just for iphones even if less than 30 days?

14. det2004 macrumors 6502

Yeah, Verizon advertises a 30 day test drive, but when I tried out a phone for 2 weeks and then canceled, they kept sending me bills, then sent it to collections. I called and complained to about 4 people and they said it would be taken care of, then I kept getting more bills and collections notices. I had to call again, and they finally got it taken care of.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, there is also the 10% restocking fee for returning the iPhone.

16. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

that what i thought.

so the answer is no, no free test drives for the iPhone on AT&T

17. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

The point is that Verizon offers it and AT&T does not. I've also had friends who had to make a deposit when buying an iPhone, which AT&T keeps EVERY SINGLE PENNY OF if you have one late payment in your contract. I'm not a fan of cell phone companies in general, but AT&T really scares me. I've heard so many horror stories about them.