Does AT&T pro-rate the DataPro (Tethering plan)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Mar 4, 2011.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Say you are going on a road trip or will be somewhere where you need to tether your laptop or iPad for a few hours...can you log into your ATT account online, turn it on for say the day, then go back to the regular Data plan? Will they just pro-rate you for that one day of use?

2. A2DY macrumors member

not from what others have said, need to have the tether package and will pay the whole amount irrelevent of how long you have it or how much you use (up to the limit obviously)...

dont hold me to it as is different for me in UK I just pay £5 per 500mb used (purely tethered use, normal use is free) whenever I use it dont need to add it etc, just pay as i go sort of thing,

3. Pheelyx, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

You only pay for when you use it as long as you make the change effective immediately. Some people may choose to backdate it to start of billing cycle to prevent overage charges.

I turn mine on and off all the time, may only use it a day or 2 at a time. And it's so easy to change with the app too.

4. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Nice, so they do pro-rate it?

It's $20 more per month vs the $25 Data plan, so that's around $0.67 per day. If I just activate it for 1 day and then log in and switch back to the normal data plan, they will just charge me around $0.67? Works for me! :)

5. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

Yep, that's how it works. Thank goodness they don't try to charge activation or downgrade fees like other companies. Yeah I'm talking to you DirecTV.

6. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Hopefully they don't change their policies, I could see people doing this upgrade/downgrade pretty often with this tethering thing.

7. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Are you sure about that...

Seems like AT&T would bill you for the entire month if you used tethering at all.

Can you take a screenshot of your bill where they show a pro-rated breakout of daily tethering billing. That just does not seem very likely.. Would be great if it is true, but that does not jibe with how they bill other things at all.

8. bniu macrumors 6502a

data/texting are all non-contract items and are always pro-rated. Sometimes to your detriment. I once switched from Texting 200 to Texting 1500 because I was running out in the middle of the month, and thanks to pro-rating in the middle of the month, it charged me for 100 texts at 10 cents each. Had to call AT&T to fix it. With the back-date option, that prevents such pro-rating overages.

With the personal hotspot, and the 4 gigs of data, tethering is quite useful now. If you think about it, if you routinely use about 4 gigs of data each month, then tethering is in fact complimentary!

It's pretty much two plans:

DataPro 2GB $25
    DataPro 4GB with Tethering $45

9. Stein357 macrumors 6502

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Well, I suspect that they also pro-rate the amount of data that they give you too - so if you really only turn it on for one day, then you only get 66MB of data to use for that day - and get charged some sort of overage if you exceed that.

I'm somewhat considering dropping the unlimited plans that my wife and I have in order to save $10/month and then just start paying when we actually need to tether. I've tethered for years, but at this point the only reason I jailbreak is to tether, and it's become more hassle than it is worth most of the time - I'm always behind a couple of versions of iOS, etc - and since I only really tether somewhat infrequently, I might just as well do the official method and not have to think about jailbreaking anymore. I think the $10/month savings would more than pay for the tethering the months we need it.

For people doing this, can you clarify how the data is pro-rated?

Also, does anyone know if tethering can be turned on immediately through the AT&T app, or is there a delay before it gets activated?

Thanks!

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

This is EXACTLY what att does for international data. Prorate the cost AND the data.

13. mvemjsuntp, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

mvemjsuntp macrumors newbie

Billing for Tethering

Does anyone how know this appears on your bill? My company reimburses me for one "data" charge up to $50. Right now, I pay (and get reimbursed for) $30 for my unlimited data plan. If I bump up and get tethering (the $45 plan), I'm pretty sure they will reimburse me for the whole amount. But, this would be true only if the entire data plan shows up just as one entry. If there's two entries -- like $30 for unlimited and $15 for tethering, or a $25/$20 split -- then they would not give me the tethering amount.

So, how does it show up on the bill?

Thanks!