Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eplchamps0305

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
I asked an Att rep and she said they did. However I recieved 2 txt messages from Switzerland and sent one back. When I check my usage it shows I have one extra charge for one message.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
They don't charge if you receive it, but will charge when you send it, and it is a separate charge from the normal ones you get with any text messaging plan.

I racked up a good $50 charge from sending some back and forth between myself and friends in Australia. So be weary on that; you may find sending it over Skype/BeeJive/IM+ a lot easier and cheaper.

BL.

eplchamps0305

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
They don't charge if you receive it, but will charge when you send it, and it is a separate charge from the normal ones you get with any text messaging plan.

I racked up a good $50 charge from sending some back and forth between myself and friends in Australia. So be weary on that; you may find sending it over Skype/BeeJive/IM+ a lot easier and cheaper.

BL.
I send with google voice

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
It looks like AT&T is no longer charging to receive SMS while roaming internationally. Of course its 50 cents for every SMS sent while roaming. This has taken place in the last couple of years because I have racked up some serious bills in yrs past.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
It looks like AT&T is no longer charging to receive SMS while roaming internationally. Of course its 50 cents for every SMS sent while roaming. This has taken place in the last couple of years because I have racked up some serious bills in yrs past.

It's been like that for at least a year if not longer.

Receiving while roaming will cost you what it would cost you in the US. 20 cents if you have no text plan. Deduct from your bucket if you have X messages per month, or nothing if you have unlimited messages. Too bad receiving phone calls while roaming doesn't work that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.