Does ATT mess with your iPhone after you buy it??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 55test55, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 55test55 macrumors 6502

As in, do they take it out of the box and mess around with the SIM card? i'd really rather them not if at all possible, i want to take it out and immediately put it in a case

2. Switz213 macrumors 6502

I'm not 100% sure. You can probably ask them not to. But you are being more anal then you have to be. Way overprotective. The iPhone isn't like that ep of southpark where all the kids wear condoms all day in order to never get an STD. lmao

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

They activated mine but did not remove the SIM. Obviously when they activated the phone the old one stopped working. I've seen other posts that said AT&T activates all of them before they give it to you but I don't know if that is true or not.

I imagine that all you have to do is ask since they open the box in front of you. Well, instead of ask tell them you want to take it out and put it in a case before they activate it. But it's not like the counters are made of pointy things. :p

4. jknightx macrumors newbie

ya the idiot at the at&t store ripped my box and made my sim stop working and it took about an hour to get it all worked out

5. camarobh macrumors 6502

AT&T store

I took my new iPhone out of the box, handed it to the AT&T rep so it could be activated. He gave it back to me and that was that.

6. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I got mine shipped from apple and did my own activation and unboxing. I heard ATT was opening them and doing it for you. I didnt want that.

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

They opened them at the Apple Store right after you bought it. The guy didn't even let me touch it after I paid for it, he just handed it off to his cronie.

I was unamused.

8. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

The reps at the AT&T store told me it's mandatory to get them activated in store. So I asked, what about the people who had it shipped to their homes.

They had no response.

9. 55test55 thread starter macrumors 6502

so basically order it online if i dont want them to mess with it? ugh.

10. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

lol this is a little ridiculous. Except for the guy who got his box ripped the rest of you are just crying.

11. Yakko macrumors newbie

i guess the ones that pre-ordered and had it delivered to their homes had the opportunity to be the first ones to actually touch their new iPhone 3GS(including myself). lol. but i remember last year when i purchased the 3G from AT&T, they never took it out of the box to activate it. they just scanned the ICCID bar code(the SIM card number) and the IMEI bar code and did the rest on their computer.

12. NINReznorist macrumors newbie

Best Buy didnt open my box, they scanned the SIM code on the box to my account and that was that... Got a case and then activated it. I didnt have to do a SIM swap, they just gave me the one that was already in the iPhone

13. equlizer macrumors regular

Got mine done instore but just took out my sim from my 3g and put it in my 3gs. When i got home i put it back in the 3g and still works fine.