Does ATT Next and Verizon Edge truly give you unsubsidized bills?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I read how Next and Edge basically give a 0% financing for an unsubsidized phone. So if you buy a $650 iPhone, they charge you $27.08 a month.

But this only works if the current monthly plans do not include the subsidized charges built into them. For example, my current bill that I had for 5 years is $80 ($40 for voice, $30 for unlimited data, and $10 for unlimited text). Whether I sign a two year contract and get a subsidized phone or not, I pay the same $80 every month. This means the monthly package includes the subsidized cost.

Do the plans that are involved with Edge or Next truly give you an unsubsidized monthly price? Because if so, then the monthly plan should be about $20 cheaper since the monthly subsidy is about $20. That is the only way I can think of where Next and Edge isn't a ripoff. But if there already high monthly prices include the subsidy built in and you are paying for the device on top of the subsidized packages, that seems like a ripoff.

2. Deguello macrumors 6502

You can get a $25 (or $15) monthly discount per line from AT&T on Family Share plans if you BYOD or finance through Next.

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Yep. Verizon, it's $25 discount per line on >=10GB and $10 per line on <10GB with EDGE/BYOD. In general, not worth it unless you're on the 10GB plan or higher. That said, the new rates are generally more expensive compared to old style minutes plans.