Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
What's weird for me is that only iphones show up on 2 year contracts now, every other phone I have to pay full price thru ATT. When I chatted online with a rep, they said that iphones were the only thing I could get now with a two year contract
That's not how it was for me but only iPhones could stick with personal unlimited data. Other phones had to get unlimited enterprise data. So I ordered another iPhone and will sell it

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
You ordered through who???

They MUST order it through att dot com.

The real cut off for third party 2 year subsidized contracts with att ended in June 2015.

Just go to bestbuy dot come and try to order it. Go to apple dot com and try to order it.

ultravisitor

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Chicago, IL
What's weird for me is that only iphones show up on 2 year contracts now, every other phone I have to pay full price thru ATT. When I chatted online with a rep, they said that iphones were the only thing I could get now with a two year contract

Odd. The website still shows me two-year contract pricing for Android phones.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
3rd party stores? Nope. AT&T corporate stores? Most of them (probably all now) will not do it. They're pushing the Next Plan on all customers. Hell you can barely buy a full retail phone at an ATT store. I've had so many customers who have come to my store and told me they wanted to buy a phone full price but the AT&T coporate store rep refused to do it. Instead they pushed the Next plan.

With Best Buy, we can no longer offer 2yr contracts on ATT (new or current customers) On Verizon, we can no longer off 2yr contracts for new customers. Apparently we can't offer it for current customers either. With Sprint, the 2yr is still available for current customers but not for new customers. The carriers are really pushing their device payment plans. I hate that. I'd rather a customer have a choice in what they can do and not be forced to do these payment plans. Not every plan benefits from these device installment plans.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
You ordered through who???
I also ordered through the AT&T website and kept my unlimited data plan. This was in September when I pre-ordered.

It was a straightforward process to keep my old plan--there were no tricks. I was prepared to cancel my order if I got to the point where it wasn't completely clear that I could keep it.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
I also ordered through the AT&T website and kept my unlimited data plan. This was in September when I pre-ordered.

It was a straightforward process to keep my old plan--there were no tricks. I was prepared to cancel my order if I got to the point where it wasn't completely clear that I could keep it.
I did four upgrades yesterday. You used the sim that came with the new device or does it matter?

cnotes2019

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
So my 5th order it won't let me keep my unlimited no matter what phone I choose. So I'll just wait till my other phones arrive and activated. Then in the near future I'll try again.

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
Yes, AT&T still offers the two year contract. I did a new one last month when I got my new phone. I was told I would save money by going to the Next plan, but after I did the cost for both, it came out about the same price so I stuck with the contract method. I've had good luck with AT&T so I don't plan on changing carriers anytime soon, and I do keep my phones for 2+ years before I upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.