Does ATT refund activation fees for pre-order iPhones (3 day period)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Sep 21, 2012.

1. aneftp macrumors 68040

ATT clearly states activation fees are refunded/not charged if phone is returned within 3 days.

However, a tricky thing is pre orders.

My contract reset on Sept 14 2012 as "new contract" date when I pre ordered iPhone last Friday.

Obviously there is a 2 week delay in shipping. It's "preparing for shipment" so I can't cancel order. On hold with Apple right now for a long time trying to cancel order but probably can't since it's preparing for shipment.

Anyways, since I probably can't return the phone until it's delivered. I won't open it.

Will ATT refund me the 3 day activation fee of $36.

When does the "3 day activation fee" actually start?

I went and added another line today at apple retail store this afternoon. So don't need the iphone I ordered online.

2. ace198 macrumors regular

Three days from the time you activated the phone, most likely.

3. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Ok, makes sense.

Cause my contract service online already shows a Sept 14 2012 to Sept 14 2014 date. So I was concerned they started the 3 day clock from Sept 14th.

Since I don't have the phone yet, I guess it's never been activated so the 3 day clock hasn't started yet.

4. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

You don't even really have to pay the $36 activation fee. It is just an easy way for AT&T to make some extra money from people who don't want to request it removed.

I have never paid it personally. Just call AT&T and tell them you see no reason to pay them a fee to have the privilege of being their customer for another two years.

Only once I've had a customer service rep say they're not able to waive the fee, in which case you say thank you and end the call and call back 5 seconds later and have the next guy do it.

The majority of the time they don't even put up a fight because their training tells them that its something they can easily waive if the customer says they don't feel like paying it.

5. aneftp thread starter macrumors 68040

Last time I got it waived was 2009. ATT has been stingy lately. It's a pain arguing.

We all know the $36 fee is just to pad their wallets.

I am just going to return the phone and cancel my spare line that I had an upgrade on since it was out of contract anyways.

I added another line at apple store today to get new iphone. Didn't want to wait for phone to ship.

Just didn't want to be charge $36 for phone I was going to return unopened.