Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DAneil808

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
last year i remember people not being able to buy a 3g because of the deposits from the credit checks. do they still do credit checks this year?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Every new line of post-paid cell service involves a credit check, regardless of carrier.

Whether or not you'll make the cut can only be determined for sure by just signing up and seeing what happens. The worst they can tell you is "no."

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
You bet!

No credit history/ Lack of credit will typically result in a $500 deposit- pretty standard

Bad credit can go anywhere from $150 deposit to $750 in my experience.

If you don't have any credit the best thing you can do is just get a small credit card, use it for literally a month and pay it off and I guarantee you'll pass. I had no credit and thats what worked for me!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yep, everyone does credit checks before you open up an account. Unless it's prepaid service where in this case there is no prepaid plans for iPhones.

Every new line of post-paid cell service involves a credit check, regardless of carrier.

Whether or not you'll make the cut can only be determined for sure by just signing up and seeing what happens. The worst they can tell you is "no."

DAneil808

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
so if i made a new line on tmobile and did not pay a deposit, will that mean i wont have to on att? are all phone companies the same on credit checks and deposits?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Perhaps a better question to ask is why aren't you using credit responsibly?

And perhaps the better answer is why do you assume this is about the OP not having good credit? Did he post that? NO. It is obvious? NO.

OP all cell phone companies run credit and their credit terms vary.

vespoli

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
And perhaps the better answer is why do you assume this is about the OP not having good credit? Did he post that? NO. It is obvious? NO.

OP all cell phone companies run credit and their credit terms vary.

My question was not an accusation that he has bad credit, simply a question why he's not using it responsibly.

If you had half a brain, you would realize that there is another option: He doesn't have a credit card.

There's no reason not to hold a credit card; there's also no reason not to pay your bill in full each month.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
My question was not an accusation that he has bad credit, simply a question why he's not using it responsibly.

If you had half a brain, you would realize that there is another option: He doesn't have a credit card.

There's no reason not to hold a credit card; there's also no reason not to pay your bill in full each month.

I assure you she has half a brain.

Again, how do you assume he is not using it responsibly or that he doesn't have a CC?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

If you had half a brain you'd realize that still, your accusation appears as though it is assuming he has bad credit. Maybe you don't understand credit, for that I pity you.

Malsi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2009
St. Louis, MO
last year i remember people not being able to buy a 3g because of the deposits from the credit checks. do they still do credit checks this year?

I have horrible credit (don't ask) and I went to an At&t store here in St Louis and they approved me for one. I didn't believe my ears when they said "Yup, you qualify". I was soooo happy!Just give it a shot.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny
If you soo worry they might ask for a credit check order it online at the apple store , my sister went to the store and they asked for a deposit then she tried online at the apple store and she was approved without giving any deposit

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.