Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlyingTexan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2015
Asked me today if I wanted to try Dolby Vision. I said sure and it switched. Haven’t watched any DV content yet but the main screen looks darker and washed out. SDR looks way better for the OS portions at least. When I select SDR and select options it gives the option to enable Dolby vision at the top. If I play DV content will it switch to that format on its own or do I need to leave that enabled all the time? My cables and Tv and everything support DV btw.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Providing you’ve got March Dynamic Range enabled then yes it will automatically switch to whatever the content is capable of displaying.

shakopeemn

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2014
Asked me today if I wanted to try Dolby Vision. I said sure and it switched. Haven’t watched any DV content yet but the main screen looks darker and washed out. SDR looks way better for the OS portions at least. When I select SDR and select options it gives the option to enable Dolby vision at the top. If I play DV content will it switch to that format on its own or do I need to leave that enabled all the time? My cables and Tv and everything support DV btw.

Agreed, I also use 'match dynamic range' on my ATV, but the default resolution is set to 4k SDR. I don't want the higher contrast of HDR / DV creating any screen retention / burn-in on the OLED TV. The OLED does show a confirmation banner when the content begins in DV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.