Does atvusb-creator allow External USB Hard drive

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Semio1es, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Semio1es macrumors member

I am debating whether to buy aTV Flash or not.

I know that atvusb-creator is free but I cannot find anywhere if it allows an external drive to expand the storage capacity of the Apple TV by attaching an external USB hard drive.

Anyone know?

2. ehurdler macrumors member

It does not. You can enable USB storage in other free ways. Search around the forum, or look at some of my posts from last week you should find them.

3. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

Ummm, enabling USB in atvusb-creator and in atvflash is through the same method, which is through NitoTV's Smart Installer. ATVFlash cannot (legally) throw the required USB files on their Patchstick, just like everybody else. You have have to download the 10.4.9 (or 10) Combo Update and then run Nito's Installer. The combo update is available on the web.

http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/NitoTV_Take_2#Smart_Installer
    http://wiki.atvflash.com/index.php?title=NitoTV_Smart_Installer

Note: If you want to enable things like SMB and AFP you'll need an ATV v1.0 Recovery DMG as well (if you don't have an original 1.0 search the web or ask a friend).

It amazes me people are still buying atvflash where they can get atvusb-creator for free and it works just as well if not better.

4. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

If you want to try before you buy, check out this Patchstick that also allows you to update your plugins online.

http://patchstick.ca/Features.html

5. TuckBodi macrumors 6502

<sigh /> Kinda like ATVUSB-Creator's Software Menu/3rd Party Plugins installer/updater?

I'm not affiliated with ATVUSB-Creator but I've been hacking patchsticking my ATV since almost the beginning, and ATVUSB-Creator is one of the best, if not the best patchstick out there. Let me put it this way, the bootloader all other patchsticks use was created by Davilla, the developer of ATVUSB-Creator (he had open sourced it). Doesn't that tell you something? He also has the blessing of all the plugin creators (because he doesn't try to rip off their work and make a profit from it). And he's the main developer responsible for porting XBMC over to the ATV. Oh yeah, and he makes all this available for free!

Now if his patchstick wouldn't work or wasn't maintained, that'd be another story. Just keep in mind, just like all the other patchstick vendors, you have to be careful about what memory stick you use, but there's plenty of info on that around the web.

I just think it's end of story --- use ATVUSB-Creator!

6. Semio1es thread starter macrumors member

I have looked for what type of memory stick to use but have not found anything that specifies anything?

Can anyone point me in that direction?

ALSO who has the best instructions for the creation/installation/configuration of
    ATVUSB-Creator?

7. Semio1es thread starter macrumors member

I have successfully updated my AppleTv with atvusb-creator.

To add an external drive I have added nitoTV successfully.

What drive format does my external hard drive need to be?

How can I check to see if the External is recognized?

Where do I go in the menu?

Also when I try to ssh to the appleTV it gives me INCORRECT PASSWORD.

The creator said I should use frontrow:frontrow but that is not working...

8. Semio1es thread starter macrumors member

I got in via ssh:

ssh frontrow@appletv.local

9. Semio1es thread starter macrumors member

I think my external drive is listed in diskutil?

-bash-2.05b$ diskutil list
    /dev/disk0
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *37.3 GB disk0
    1: EFI 34.0 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_Recovery 400.0 MB disk0s2
    3: Apple_HFS OSBoot 900.0 MB disk0s3
    4: Apple_HFS Media 35.8 GB disk0s4
    /dev/disk1
    #: type name size identifier
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *111.8 GB disk1
    1: EFI 200.0 MB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS iTunes External 111.5 GB disk1s2

Should be the 120GB drive. Does this look correct?

If so, how do I view the content on the external drive? IT is placed in an iTunes folder

10. Tweeksy macrumors member

Hmmm, been keeping an eye on this thread (also want to be able to use an external USB HD) and it's sounding like this is complicated and that buying atv--flash might be a better option? Did you get this working in the end?

11. Semio1es thread starter macrumors member

Yes i got it working last night. In the end a very easy process just should have tinkered with the new AppleTV settings before posting. As you can see above, I answered a few of my own questions.

I see the external drive successfully.

I am trying to figure out what folder structure the external drive should be in?

Should it be exactly like the iTunes folder structure on my MacBook. Should I just copy the contents of the iTunes folder to my external and go from there?

12. ehurdler macrumors member

Viewing videos or listening to music from the external hard drive can be in whatever folder structure you want. The files will not be read like they would in iTunes. Using ATVFiles you simply browse to the files you want to play. http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/ATVFiles Or the same holds true with using NitoTV.

13. Semio1es thread starter macrumors member

So am I able to view the files with album cover artwork and playlists if I view thru nitoTV or ATVFiles?