Does auto-brightness work for anyone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by stephanos180, Mar 5, 2008.

1. stephanos180 macrumors member

Okay, everyone try this: turn on your iPod in a closet and walk into a lit room. Everyone reports that the screen grows brighter, but does anyone have a Touch that also performs the reverse? That is, when going back into the 'closet' :)D), does your iPod's screen dim itself? I know that it will do this by setting your iPod to standby, and reawakening it, but that's not the point of the auto-brightness. Anyway, please respond.

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i was wondeirng bout this as well, it doen st seem to work for me very well or at all for me, when i get out of my car with it, walking to class on very snowy days or bright days i can t see a thing in my screen..

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if you mean does it work by making the screen as dark as possible even in a lit room its hard to see........ then yes..... yes it does work :D

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

ahha ine doenst seem to work either way.. one or the other..

5. invigorated macrumors newbie

invigorated

Define works? Mine does adjust the brightness some of the time. When it does it gets it horribly wrong though. So I'm going to run with no, it doesn't work.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

To answer the thread's title,

Perfectly, thank you.

(Week 37 model, January Software Update, Unjailbroken).

R-Fly

7. EdwardsNH macrumors member

mine dims significantly in a dark room. And that's inside a DLO hipcase.

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Can't really tell, but I think it dims when im outside.

9. pazreal macrumors regular

Works great, sometimes it gets confused in shadowy areas

10. intempo808 macrumors regular

The ambient light sensor dims the light in dark areas, to minimise glare and allow the user to see it easier, and brightens in light areas to make it more visible in sunlight.

:D

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't tried this experiment, but I know that if I allow the screen to auto-dim, tapping it doesn't bring the brightness back up to the previous level. It's always noticeably less bright.

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.3 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Mine automatically brightens, but it has never dimmed on it's own. It only dims after a respring.

13. nintendude macrumors 6502

With auto-brightness turned on, nothing happens when walking from a dark closet to a bright room.

14. Ferb 101 macrumors member

i never used it, but now that you mention it...it does not work...lol

15. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

it only works when you turn it on or wake it up from sleep. thats when it takes its light sample. just think, if it had to be constantly scanning and readjusting it would would suck the juice out of you ipod faster than it could charge. :cool:

16. natezire71 Guest

Mine gets dimmer.....and with the Griffin Reflect on it too!! Crazy...:rolleyes:

17. mavis, Mar 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2013

mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.3 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Actually, that's incorrect. Mine will increase brightness at any time, not only when first powered on. However it will NEVER dim automatically. The feature seems to be broken. Hopefully Apple will get around to fixing it with one of these paid updates.

18. mavis, Mar 10, 2008

mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Actually, that's incorrect. Mine will increase brightness at any time, not only when first powered on. However it will NEVER dim automatically. The feature seems to be broken. Hopefully Apple will get around to fixing it with one of these paid updates.

19. trentor macrumors newbie

in my opinion, this seems to be an issue with 1.1.4. I bought my iphone with 1.1.2 and the auto-brightness worked well then and with 1.1.3. It would dim almost immediately upon walking into a dark room, and immediately brighten when going outside. ever since upgrading to 1.1.4, it sucks a big one. it "may", after a few seconds, brighten a little (not nearly as much as before) when going outside, but it has never dimmed on it's own. I'm starting to wonder if this thing isn't really run with Windows. every new "feature" they release breaks something else.

20. Snips macrumors regular

I'm still running 1.1.1 (jailbroken) on my Touch, and auto-brightness doesn't seem to be effective. I've noticed some adjustment when I toggle between autorightness being on and off in Settings, but I've not noticed any actual useful auto-brightness management in use.

Still an awesome device though ;)

21. YuriVoorhak, Mar 16, 2008

YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Wow..I thought this was obvious too. Don't worry though... nobody's paying attention.:D

22. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

well, in addition to my post which I left out previously, or after leaving (which technically is saving) the brightness settings.

23. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

24. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

It might have been 1.1.1 that I tested this - but it appears to readjust whenever you change modes - if playing a movie, go back to the menu screen or home screen, or vice versa - not in the middle of one mode (i.e., during movie playback). This may have gotten better, or worse, in later firmwares.

25. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Mine works. Just try putting your thumb over the light sensor (easier than walking into/out of a closet). Mine adjusts itself within 5 seconds every time.