Does Auto-Brightness work on iphone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SandersHokie, Aug 8, 2008.

1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

I swear it hardly changes. I have it set to "on" so it will change, but maybe my eyes are messed up or something, but I rarely see it change.

what am i missing?

2. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

Mine doesn't change much but it does change. Sometimes it gets really bright when it doesn't need to.

3. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I've noticed mine works quite well. Even while walking in and out of my garage my phone will dim or brighten.

4. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

On my phone, the auto brightness always seems way too bright. I've turned auto brightness OFF, and I set my 3G phone on approximately 25% brightness (25% might seem dim, but it's not) all the time now. When I'm in my house, lately I've been setting the brightness all the way down as dim as it can go and I can see it just fine. My battery life has improved SIGNIFICANTLY since I've started turning the brightness lower. :)

5. dranakin macrumors 6502

I'm having the same problems. Even with Auto-Brightness on, it never seems change between 35-40% no matter what the lighting conditions are. Any idea what is going on?

6. pj rage macrumors 6502

I have mine set to "on" and I never really mess with it. I don't know if it changes or not to be honest, it always looks about the same, in any lighting environment. I don't know if that means it's working or not :p

One thing that I do notice is that every so often, I'll unlock it and it will be particularly dim. If I use it for a few minutes it will eventually brighten up (instantly (not over time)), or, if I relock and unlock again, it will be brighter.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Oh, it works alright. But it seems kind of stupid.

I swear, it makes it dimmer when I'm in bright areas and brighter when I'm in dark areas! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems backwards.

I eventually turned it off since it seemed to always do the wrong thing.

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Yeah mines all jacked up as well. I've only seen it dim or brighten on several occassions.

Thought my temporary case (until I find the one I want) might have been covering up a sensor, but I tried it without the case on and it still wouldn't respond to bright, dark situations.

Seems to me Apple really rushed the new 3G out to market. WAY too many issues with the 2nd gen phone compared to first. Hopefully software updates will fix most of our ills. I guess we'll all find out fairly soon.

9. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

10. D35P3R4T0 macrumors member

my auto brightness is swithed "on" but it sort of has a mind of it's own. I could be in my house texting or surfing the Internet, and then all of the sudden auto brightness will decide to kick in. It doesnt really bother me as much as it is amusing...

11. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Same here.