Does backing up make new phones slower?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ehzool, Oct 5, 2014.

1. ehzool macrumors member

If I buy an iPhone, plug it into iTunes, I get the two options, Setup as new or Backup from old phone. If I backup from an old iPhone, will it make my new iPhone run slower?

I've heard some people say it does. Is that rare? Or is it very common?
    My phone plan allows me to get a new phone every year, so backing up from a previous phone would be extremely helpful... but not if it makes the phone run slower.

2. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I've never had an issue with restoring from backup. But that's just me. I can't speak for others.
    YMMV.

3. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

yes, because it get all your crappy settings from your old phone. If you want your phone to run efficiently start fresh.

4. Imory macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud as a back-up option but iTunes should work in a similar way. No, your phone should not get slower at all. The back-up is mostly restricted to "personal" data such as contacts, photos, messages etc. Also your personal settings as well.

It doesn't actually store any app data except if it syncs to iCloud. The only thing it stores regarding your apps is basically a "command" to install the apps you decided to back up.

----------

And what are these settings that are considered crappy?

5. ehzool thread starter macrumors member

Is there anyway for me to import my notes, and contacts after already setting my phone up as new?

6. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Yes as long as they are saved in the icloud. Go to Settings > icloud and make sure that the notes, and contacts and the things you want is set to ON.

7. caesarp macrumors 6502a

If you restore from itunes encrypted backup, all of your passwords for mail accounts etc. come over. So that's worth it for me. I restore from backup and its ready to go instantly. Even my work email account. I notice no slowness on my 6 plus.