Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GlassBullet

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Ventura, CA
So I have a 3GS running 3.0 and I want to update to 3.1.2 cause the jailbreak is out now and all. The thing is, I want to keep my text messages. If I back-up before I upgrade, will the messages be saved so I can sync them back to my phone? Or does upgrading not require a restore at all?

Also, if I am jailbroken now on 3.0, will I need to do a restore to update, or can I just go ahead and update from a jailbroken state?

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
So I have a 3GS running 3.0 and I want to update to 3.1.2 cause the jailbreak is out now and all. The thing is, I want to keep my text messages. If I back-up before I upgrade, will the messages be saved so I can sync them back to my phone? Or does upgrading not require a restore at all?

Also, if I am jailbroken now on 3.0, will I need to do a restore to update, or can I just go ahead and update from a jailbroken state?

Im uncertain on the text part BUT ALWAYS restore to a clean firmware before jailbreaking. Always.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
I don't think 3.1.2 is jailbreakable.

But yeah texts are saved. I've had like 7 different iPhones in that past 2-3 years, either from being replaced or upgrading, and I still have text messages from my first iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.