Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
I'm trying to play Netflix at 4k from base M1 mini 16/512 to a Dell U2723QE

According to Netflix, the reqs are a) ultra uhd package, checked 2) playback setting video quality set to high, checked 3) sufficient bandwidth (I have 500/500 fiber, Ethernet connection) 4) hdcp 2.2 compliant display (Dell says u2723qe supports it thru USBC or DP, I'm using USBC) 5) Safari, checked.

I'm running the Dell in 4k for Netflix. I have all the reqs yet I can't get 4k. I do the Ctrl cmd shift option d shortcut to bring up diagnostic and it's always 1080p. I'm playing Netflix shows like sweet tooth and our planet which I know are available in 4k. When I click the more info button, I only see HD in the banner, along with spatial studio, etc, not 4k.

I also tried connecting to a 4k LG TV (which also claims to support hdcp 2.2) via HDMI and same result

So does the M1 mini actually support hdcp 2.2? I googled this and seems like nobody knows. Is anyone with a M1 mini, base, non-pro, able to get 4k Netflix playback?

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
No where on the product tech specs page does it mention hdcp. Or what version of HDMI the HDMI port is. Typical Apple dumbassery. Sigh

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
I would check your Spec's again using the serial number of your Mini. My M1 2020 is:
Video Support and Camera
Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution
at 60Hz connected via HDMI 2.0
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output supports:

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)
HDMI 2.0 display video output:
Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz

DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Last edited:

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
Again, it says nothing about hdcp and which version is supported

Kenny99

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2018
ST. Louis, Mo.
Three min. on Google:

High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP) is a copy-protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of capturing digital content from the source to the display. It is designed to protect digital signals when using a Digital Video Interface (DVI) and High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI).

How do I check if my HDMI cable is HDCP compliant? Please check if your cable is HDCP compliant at hdmi.org. You can do a quick search of the brand of the cable or look for tags/stickers on your cable that say 'HDCP compliant. '

From this I would think that you wouldn’t see this ( as an error) unless you were trying to bypass it by copying. Or if you really want to try this:

To bypass HDCP 2.2, you must avoid a direct connection between the source and the receiver. Instead, use an HDMI Splitter. It removes HDCP 2.2 encryption and allows audio and video display on various screens. With the intervention of a splitter, you can even record Xbox 360 footage as it strips out HDCP.

Another 1 min. On Google:

Can you watch Netflix without HDCP?

HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. The purpose of HDCP is to protect digital copyrighted content as it travels from a device to your TV, generally through HDMI or DVI connections. HDCP is required to stream Netflix from a device connected to your TV.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
HDCP 2.2 is about a decade old at this point and Intel-Macs from 2017..or 2018?.. onwards had it. You aren't alone with this problem since googling reveals many threads, in this forum as well, one was resolved by replacing the cable. Since many cables that come with devices (Macs as well as TVs and monitors) are cheap trash, I'd suggest something like Startech which I use for my Thunderbolt cables (the ones I have are fully USB compatible and Startech clearly lists the capabilities on their website). But it might be an incompatibility of older TVs/screens and M1. M1 is known not somehow not work with some external monitors or beamers, for seemingly no good reason. No idea if that was improved/resolved with M1 Pro or M2.

Perhaps you can try Chrome as that usually has good video support. And if you aren't on Ventura yet, you could try it, perhaps was a fix included with it.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
I'm not trying to bypass hdcp, just trying to watch something on Netflix in 4k. Since I've checked all the reqs, the only remaining question is hdcp 2.2, and there's no info on whether the M1 mini actually supports it. Yes it's a very old standard by now, but who knows what Apple is up to when they don't tell you.

I'm using the brand new USB c cable that came with the Dell. It's a $600+ monitor so I assume the cable is not cheap crap and is compliant with all the standards the monitor is supposed to support. At any rate, it looks sturdy and high quality

I'm not getting any kind of error on playback. 4k is simply not an option

According to Netflix, only safari on Mac and edge on windows are authorized for 4k playback. I'm using Safari

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
I'm using the brand new USB c cable that came with the Dell. It's a $600+ monitor so I assume the cable is not cheap crap and is compliant with all the standards the monitor is supposed to support.
You'd think that, but it's not always so. There was a test of that years ago, maybe it was linustechtips, and they found out that some of these cables are actually bad. And I am convinced that as always, manufacturers like to throw in the cheapest accessoires they can get away with to save cost at the consumer's expense. I am not convinced that this will resolve the issue but otherwise I am out of ideas.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

thebart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2023
Ok I'll buy another cable. But, hdcp functions are done by the display and the computer. The cable just transmits data. There is no reason to think the cable that is working just fine displaying 4k on YouTube and transmitting data (the monitor doubles as a hub) is somehow failing to transmit the hdcp handshaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.