Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I waited on preorder launch day to order my iPhone Pro Max.

I wasn't really sure I wanted it, and about 8 hours post-launch, I decided to order.

I usually always get the unlocked version.

That version was sold out so I got the Verizon version since I am on that network.

Does that hurt the chance of resale? I know unlocked phones usually sell higher.

However, aren't the SIM cards removable, and as thus, the phones are essentially unlocked anyway unless you go with AT&T?

Thanks in advance.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I waited on preorder launch day to order my iPhone Pro Max.

I wasn't really sure I wanted it, and about 8 hours post-launch, I decided to order.

I usually always get the unlocked version.

That version was sold out so I got the Verizon version since I am on that network.

Does that hurt the chance of resale? I know unlocked phones usually sell higher.

However, aren't the SIM cards removable, and as thus, the phones are essentially unlocked anyway unless you go with AT&T?

Thanks in advance.

From Apple's "Will my iPhone be unlocked" page:
Your iPhone will be unlocked when you:
Choose any carrier and select One-time payment.
Choose any carrier and select Apple iPhone Payments.
Choose any carrier and either join or upgrade with the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.
Purchase a SIM-free model. This is like any other iPhone, just without a carrier nano-SIM card.

Your iPhone will be locked when you:
Choose AT&T as your carrier and pay with AT&T Next.

In short, yes, phones that are carrier locked do have a lower resale value.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Excellent. Thanks for the help, gents!

This way I can sell the phone as unlocked.

ATEspo

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been fighting with AT&T to unlock my iPhone X for about a week now. I finally called Apple and they are calling AT&T for me to get it resolved.

I originally bought my X through Apple but used AT&T's Next program. I paid the phone off last month so I could get it unlocked and prepare to sell it when my 11 Pro comes in. AT&T Told me I had to call Apple to get it unlocked since I purchased it directly from them...

When I check my unlock status on AT&T's site I get:
Current status - Denied
Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn't match a device that's compatible with the AT&T network

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I've been fighting with AT&T to unlock my iPhone X for about a week now. I finally called Apple and they are calling AT&T for me to get it resolved.

I originally bought my X through Apple but used AT&T's Next program. I paid the phone off last month so I could get it unlocked and prepare to sell it when my 11 Pro comes in. AT&T Told me I had to call Apple to get it unlocked since I purchased it directly from them...

When I check my unlock status on AT&T's site I get:
Current status - Denied
Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn't match a device that's compatible with the AT&T network
Wow that's bad! Years ago I had issues unlocking from them because I upgraded to a new iPhone and wanted to unlock my iPhone for my mom. Nothing but issues. They said I had to wait 14 days after I got my new iPhone to unlock, and I say why? They said it's their policy. I said well I paid for the phone, who owns? And it was just an argument. I ordered the 11 and since I am waiting for it, I already unlocked my iPhone 7. It's been paid off for over a year, but I just remembered to do it now. I get locking it while it's being paid off, but it should be automatically unlocked as soon as that last payment is done.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Best bet is to buy the Sim-free version which isn't tied to any carrier. Just take your sim card and pop it in. You're done.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
ATT unlocks phones easily. They unlocked my iPad Pro 1TB cellular, I restored it with iTunes and could use any carrier on the Apple ESIM, and any carrier nano SIM card in the external sim slot. Data would work immediately. I could activate any carrier data plan in the settings too

I also just unlocked a iPhone 7 which can use any nano SIM card just fine too

What is the issue with AT&T devices ???

I know some people want to use other carriers. But AT&T is balling fast anyways.

Are people trying to sell new devices that are still on payment plans or something???

What is the issue. Wait until AT&T just lets you unlock the device, and they will.

Last edited:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
I always thought AT&T worked on a different signal spectrum than the other carriers.

At least that was the issue two years ago when I owned one of their iPhones and could not switch to Verizon.

I don't know what has changed since.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Verizon actually locks phones for up to 60 days now, which is stupid that the FCC decided to allow that.

When do they lock it? Upon activation?

I just want to be certain that in a year's time I can sell it as unlocked.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
When do they lock it? Upon activation?

I just want to be certain that in a year's time I can sell it as unlocked.

I believe it's activation and like I said, after 60 days it is 100% unlocked. You could probably get them to unlock it before, they generally don't care about you using a GSM carrier as long as you are paying for Verizon service.

Reactions: NJRonbo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.