Does best buy honor apples 14 day no hassle return policy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macguy360, Aug 25, 2011.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Here's the story:

I bought my 11" 128gb i5 macbook air at best buy last saturday. I got the toshiba hard drive which so far I have no complaints about. The issue I ran into is when playing videos through youtube and vimeo. I notice screen artifacts on the right side of the screen and horizontal lines on the right side of the screen.

I called the best buy to see if they had more of my model in stock so i could go and exchange it and they said they were all out. On top of that they said they were also out of the 13" next step up from my model for $100 more. They said they would not get more in for another week or so which puts me outside of the 14 day no hassle exchange period.

I'm at a loss as to what I should do If i should just keep the macbook air and hope that nothing gets worse or try to go just get a return on it. The best buy I bought it at is about an hour and a half from where I live and it is the only best buy within 300 miles that sells macbooks.

What should i do?

2. mayassa macrumors regular

Bring it to the apple store. THey will fix you up.

3. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Yes take it to Apple. Or...just return the computer, get your money back, and go pick up a new one at the Apple store.

4. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

[/COLOR]
    The only problem to returning it is that best buy charges an open box fee of 15%. That is a lot of money to pay just to get a return unless I can absolutely prove that it is defective and I'm not sure they would accept my issue with video playback as defective.

5. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Ahh I see...then it does get a bit difficult. You should've purchased from Apple originally. I can't tell you how many posts I've read with members who are on their 3rd Air (for whatever reason).

Or actually, if you can prove that it is defective and show the mgr that the screen does what you are saying. Then I don't see why they wouldn't take it back. It'd be the right thing to do on their part.

6. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah no kidding. I am kicking myself for buying from best buy. I'm going to call the apple store and see if they would give me an exchange.

7. nebulos macrumors 6502a

nebulos

like Apple, Best Buy no longer charges restocking fees. just give them a call and ask.

8. minnus macrumors 6502

If I recall correctly, Best Buy no longer has a restocking fee. Go return it!

The reason why I recall this is because a lot of people bought Kindles for the 20% off Laptop code from Best Buy and returned it -- and they BOUGHT it from Best Buy precisely because they got rid of the restocking fee.

9. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

No, but if you're a Rewards Zone Silver member you do have a 45 day return window.

10. Built macrumors 68020

Best Buy no longer charges a 15% restocking fee.

Reward Zone Premier Silver member here (every year since the Premier Silver program began) so I know their policies well.