Does best buy install hardware on mac's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acrahm, Aug 7, 2008.

1. acrahm macrumors regular

I ask because i am swaping a HD and changing ram in my MBP and dont want the apple care to be voided, BB is the closest place for me....

2. deriko100 macrumors 6502

this should help

im pretty sure installing ram can be done by anyone they let you with a imac so try to research the MBP also i know changing your HDD voids your warranty
    so get apple or best buy to replace your HDD

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Changing RAM won't void the warranty and is very easy to do (in fact, apple provides instructions on how to do it yourself and it would probably be cheaper for you to do so).

HD in a MBP is a bit more tricky. Changing it doesn't per se void the warranty but if you screw something up while replacing it Apple won't help you. (Though if you replace it, all goes well, and then something unrelated breaks, apple won't give you a hard time about the HD). So having a professional change it would help.

I don't see why Best Buy wouldn't replace the hard drive (assuming they do it for other computers).

4. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

You'd save oodles of cash by doing it yourself. Really.

Buy the RAM off Newegg or another online reseller, and the hard drive as well. The RAM installation is as easy as snapping legos together.

The HDD is a little trickier, but nothing someone with even a cursory knowledge of LEGOs or K'nex couldn't figure out. Some screws, a sata/power connector, nothing big. There are many sites/guide on the net with picture diagrams and even videos, so it's pretty much impossible to screw up.

I'd rank it as a 3/10 on difficulty, with the RAM being a 0/10.

Like previously said, Apple only gives you a hard time on the warranty if you really screw something up when swapping the drives, like snapping the motherboard or something that's particularly difficult to do as long as you're not an ogre.

And even if something does go wrong and you have to take it to Apple, swap out the old hard drive before you take it in. Then just feign ignorance. "A hard drive, is that where the CD goes?" etc. etc.

5. acrahm thread starter macrumors regular

cool, RAM i will do myself,

with the HD, i dont wana mess things up, i just re=uped my applecare so i dont mind paying $50-$100 to have the HD installed,
    going back to my original question, best buy is a certified apple tech right?

6. kntgsp macrumors 6502a

They sell apple products, so yes, I believe they are required to do minor repairs/upgrades. I think hard drive upgrade they should be able to do, but why don't you just call them to be sure? Save you a lot of hassle.

However anything major is still done by Apple, with Best Buy simply shipping it off.