Does Bluetooth make you BLUE?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tlinford, Jul 26, 2010.

1. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

I finally got an iPhone, in the form of the iPhone 4. Finally Apple put in some features that other phones have had for half a decade. This is great, although Apple still manage to made people feel guilty for asking for things like data tethering and Bluetooth functionality, which is a pity.

I have a question about connecting my phone to my Jeep's Sat Sav audio system.

I paired these devices without a glitch, my phone works flawlessly over blue... I was satisfied with this until the Sat Nav told me it recognised an auxiliary device, before I plugged in the aux cable for playing iTunes stuff through the stereo.. However, having taunted me with the hint that I might be able to bluetooth stream audio from the iPhone to the Jeep's media centre, I have been totally unsuccessful at doing this... I cannot find anything on the iPhone side to tell iTunes to stream audio to Blutooth rather than internal speaker....

Given the phone functions automatically, I suspect that I will be wasting my time at fiddling with the settings...

Does anyone else know if it is possible to Bluetooth connect iTunes from an Iphone to a Jeep's SatNav Media centre?

2. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

In my Kia it's a function of the car system, not the phone. First I have to pair the phone, then I have to enable a setting that allows streaming audio via bluetooth. They're both once and done things. After that, I select the "Aux/CD" (as opposed to AM/FM or Sat) button which starts streaming audio via bluetooth. Check your equipment manual. If your setup actually supports it, it will be in there somewhere.

3. jutte64 macrumors regular

jutte64

yeah your not alone. my 3g worked fine with my pioneer head unit ever since os 3.0 came out no problems at all. i updated to 4.0 and now i cant get it to sync/connect to the audio part of my iphone. the phone part still worked though. bought the iphone 4 and same problem phone works fine but cant play music through bluetooth over my radio. kinda makes me mad i loved that feature while it lasted!:mad:

4. tlinford thread starter macrumors regular

tlinford

Splitzzz.

This is the age old problem of who is responsible for what..... As far as I can tell, the car's stereo is ready to get Bluetooth (it is capable, I have checked) .... it's the iPhone that isn;t streaming, there might be a software switch on the phone side - the car's unit tells the iPhone to use bluetooth..... this is clearly not happening on the iPod side, this said, a manual switch would be the only thing that would work...

Is there a manual way (preference) to tell the iPod to out to bluetooth?

5. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Not to the best of my knowledge, no. It is kind of weird. I can connect the phone to the car by tapping the car's name in the bluetooth panel and it will indicate that it's connected but nothing will happen. No phone calls, no audio, nothing. Instead, I have to initiate the connect from the car. When the car indicates a connection I can use it for phone calls and streaming audio.

I've gotten the impression that the whole car bluetooth thing is fairly new and problematic and the iPhone is very restrictive with bluetooth. You may need to get an external bluetooth dongle for the phone to make it work.