Does Bluetooth USB Dongle HAVE to be D-Link?

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I see Belkin USB Bluetooth adapters for half the price of the D-Link. They say they're compatible with 10.2.4 and over... is this true?

What I am asking is, if I buy one of these Belkin.. although Apple only "supports" the D-Link adapter... will the Belkin work with an Apple Wireless keyboard/mouse? will it be compatible with all the other bluetooth features (syncing with mobile phone) etc...

OR.. does it have to be the Dlink?

Thanks in advance

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
No, you don't have to buy D-Link. I used to have a Keyspan for my iBook, and recently when that was broken I got the cheapest dongle I could find: A Billionton. Works like a charm (even better than the Keyspan, really).

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Just a warning though: don't expect to get any help from Apple if you have any other bluetooth dongle besides the d-link. I've had an Ambicon dongle for a couple years, and OS X recently started throwing fits with it, and Apple wouldn't even talk to me. I guess that's to be expected...

I did get it to work, however, and it works just fine. :)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Ye i got a cheap USB dongle off ebay and it works a charm, plug and play in OSX.....

ShadOW :p

kewpid

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2003
The Belkin Bluetooth dongle doesn't support headsets in OS X, but otherwise it should be fine.