Does Boot Camp affect the performance of the computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arthursiew, Jan 11, 2009.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I installed XP onto Boot Camp, so I can run some Windows games on it. At first, it didn't seem like it was that bad but after loading Sims 2, 2 expansion packs and 1 stuff pack it was a little... different. Windows still starts up pretty quick and everything, but in OS X... the performance has been decreasing slowly. Doesn't the things only affect the things in the Windows partition instead of OS X? Safari's performance wasn't as smooth as it used to be. What happened?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, BC cannot affect the OS X partition. However, if you are running out of free space because of the BC partition size, that may affect your OS X performance. How much free space do you have?

3. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I sized my Windows Partition to 20GB and there is still 10.2GB left.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What programs do have load at login and how many programs do you keep running all the time?

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i was about to say there would be no effect, but after seeing how much hard drive space you have left i have to answer YES! leaving anything less than 15gb-20gb will effect the performance of the computer in many ways.

6. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Well... I think Daemon Tools is probably the only one that opens at login since it's at the taskbar right after booting up. Since I wasn't able to get the WiFi working in Windows, I only run Sims 2.

I still have 99.94gb left on my OS X Partition. Is this a problem?

Oh yea, after holding the Option key and choosing Windows. The screen will stay the same and then after about 5-10 seconds it starts to boot up.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I meant on the OS X side ... So you have 99 GB free on the OS X partition? What about OS X login items?

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oohh i thought you meant you had 10gb left in osx, no thats perfectly fine!! no problems whatso ever.

9. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

How do I find the login items? I'm new to OS X.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

System Preferences > Accounts > click on your username, the login items above your picture.

Attached Files:

11. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Thanks. Just iTunes Helper.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Hmm, there is no reason your OS X partition should be slowing down. How much RAM do you have?

:apple: > About this Mac ...

Attached Files:

13. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I just got the stock 2.0GHz Al MacBook. So everything is standard (2GB RAM, 160GB HD, etc.)

It just seems like Safari and launching some apps feels a little slower and different. What happens if I want to reinstall Leopard with the restore disks? Can my external back my files back, or do you think the performance should be about the same? If you think I should try reinstalling Leopard, can I reinstall it back into the OS X partition and leave Windows alone?

14. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

BootCamp does not affect OSX at all. All modifications are to the boot environment (which adds a component to allow it to boot BIOS operating systems), which has nothing to do with the OSX system.

Lack of free space would only hurt application performance if your RAM was low (and paging started). Are you using any 64-bit apps? They basically double RAM use to give more precision, so 2Gb on x64 is like 1Gb on x86. If you're using a lot of 64-bit apps, don't go wild thinking you have oodles of RAM.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i honestly have no idea why its slowing, but a reinstall could be an option. i doubt it would do anything unless there are system files that are slowing it down for some odd reason.

i would monitor your system 'vitals' for a few days, e.g. open "Activity Monitor" (found in spotlight) and check out your RAM, CPU, and thread usage, also note the disk activity and a few other things.

hmm this may sound crazy, but its just an idea. you can run Safari in "Rosetta" mode, which allows it to run on PPC model Macs (old G5, etc), you are able to tick that menu option in the "Get Info" panel. have a look at the image i provided and see if you may have accidentally clicked it.

anyway back to reinstalling, there are 3 options.
    • backup whatever you want to an external HD manually. then copy them back on after you finish reinstalling (this would allow for a clean install of everything, i would recommend wiping the partition aswell for this method)
    • use your external HD and turn it into a Time Machine backup, you can restore the backup when reinstalling, its perfectly safe (its made by apple). its a very safe and easy method. (doesnt matter if you wipe your HD or not)
    • just simply reinstall the OS only, it keeps your user files and everything else intact. this would probably be the least successful way of fixing anything that is slowing down your system.

hope i help in some way haha.

DoFoT9

(keep in mind i cannot tick the "Rosetta" because Safari is open).

Attached Files: